Monday, May 31, 2010

Seasons of Migration Quilt

I have been free motion quilting my mother's Seasons of Migration Quilt.

It is a lap sized quilt. She bought the kit from KickAss Country Store at the last Winnipeg Quilt Show. They no longer list the kit on their website but they have the pattern, and the beautiful Moda fabric.

My mother did a beautiful job piecing it, and the applique is fused, with a machine blanket stitch to secure it.
I am adding my version of "Mctavishing" (Joanning ...?) to the lightest sections. I also added veins to the appliqued leaves.

I free motion quilted over the panels in a dark brown thread. I am using Invisafil (a 100wt polyester thread by Wonderfil), and a #70 Microtex needle. I love the way the thread disappears into the fabric.


I am also adding some feathers in the dark sections of the log cabin corner blocks.
I will also free motion quilt the borders on this quilt.
My mother glue basted the layers of the quilt and stitched in the ditch to hold it together. She will also do some free motion quilting (she is learning) - she is going to do the triangles with a curved line as recommended by Diane Gaudynski.

My focus this week is to finish my portion of the free motion quilting on this quilt. My mother wants to show it in the quilt show her quilting group (in Victoria Beach) is having on June 19th.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...