Monday, May 24, 2010

Blogger Quilt Festival

I have been visiting blogs on the Blogger Quilt Festival, and decided to join in all the fun!





The quilt I chose to show is one that I finished in 2005. It is the first large (95"x95") quilt that I made, and it is hand quilted.

These kinds of quilts are often called "Orphaned Block" quilts, but I just made blocks that I liked and wanted to try. I made the blocks over about three years, out of scraps and fabric I bought for this quilt. I actually painted my bedroom red in anticipation of this quilt, but it never made it into that bedroom!!

I finished it when we moved to Alberta. We moved in the middle of winter (and to the middle of nowhere, where we knew no one!), so this was a wonderful project to keep me busy as we settled in. It also kept me warm when I was quilting it! I finished it within the first few months of moving.

I was originally stumped by how to but all the blocks together, but once I laid all the blocks out it sort of came together. It has been a very useful quilt, as I have made a couple of quilts from blocks that I really liked trying out.

My children's appliqued hand prints were the last blocks that I made for the quilt. I chose points with spaces for the border, the ones with three points remind me of dress making patterns (my mother made all out clothes growing up and it reminds me of her).

I have made several large quilts since this one, but this is still my favorite - I love the eclectic mix of it! And I still have one red wall in my bedroom - even after two moves!!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you get a chance to see all the wonderful quilts on display!

16 comments:

Kat said...

Great scrappy quilt, it looks beautiful. I like these kind of unconventional quilts. :-)

SheilaC said...

Joanne, what a great quilt and what a wonderful story to go with it!

I love how it connect with both your children, your mom and you!!

Thank you so much for sharing it

SheilaC

Jacque. said...

ohmygosh, this is absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing it with everyone.

Wendy said...

Very cheerful. I love that your children will always be part of that quilt.

Sandra Henderson said...

Joanne,
Such a dear, dear quilt! Thank you for sharing it and your story. Warms my heart. I am going to make some handprints one day of my grandbaby(s)!!! Great idea! LOVE IT! I'm NOT a matchy, matchy person, so this is RIGHT up my alley! LOVE IT! GREAT JOB! XO

canuckquilter said...

What a great way to try out different blocks. I love the handprints and the pointy border, and the memories they represent for you. Your quilt is beautiful.

Joan said...

Quite some history goes with that lovely quilt. I love it...very cheerful. I have always wondered how you work out getting all those odd shape blocks together.

GLÒRIA said...

Very beautiful quilt!!!
Heppy Festival!!!

Marie said...

so much work, Beautiful quilt

MARIKA said...

Very beautiful quilt work !

Dawn N. said...

oh my this is beautiful!! amazing job!

GailM. said...

Love this quilt. I could do a quarter of an orphan block quilt. Or better yet donate blocks to somebody who is doing an orphan block quilt.

stitchinpenny said...

Great quilt.

Martine said...

c'est une véritable œuvre d'art magnifique

Eileen said...

had never heard about an orphan quilt--i think i need to do one with some of my left overs!! love the handprints--precious. thanks for sharing

Michelle said...

What a wonderful quilt! Not only is it gorgeous, but also interesting. It was fascinating to look at all the different blocks you included.