Monday, May 24, 2010

Blogger Quilt Festival

I have been visiting blogs on the Blogger Quilt Festival, and decided to join in all the fun!





The quilt I chose to show is one that I finished in 2005. It is the first large (95"x95") quilt that I made, and it is hand quilted.

These kinds of quilts are often called "Orphaned Block" quilts, but I just made blocks that I liked and wanted to try. I made the blocks over about three years, out of scraps and fabric I bought for this quilt. I actually painted my bedroom red in anticipation of this quilt, but it never made it into that bedroom!!

I finished it when we moved to Alberta. We moved in the middle of winter (and to the middle of nowhere, where we knew no one!), so this was a wonderful project to keep me busy as we settled in. It also kept me warm when I was quilting it! I finished it within the first few months of moving.

I was originally stumped by how to but all the blocks together, but once I laid all the blocks out it sort of came together. It has been a very useful quilt, as I have made a couple of quilts from blocks that I really liked trying out.

My children's appliqued hand prints were the last blocks that I made for the quilt. I chose points with spaces for the border, the ones with three points remind me of dress making patterns (my mother made all out clothes growing up and it reminds me of her).

I have made several large quilts since this one, but this is still my favorite - I love the eclectic mix of it! And I still have one red wall in my bedroom - even after two moves!!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you get a chance to see all the wonderful quilts on display!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...