Thursday, May 6, 2010

Finished?

I think I have finished piecing the Pinwheel Sampler Quilt Along Quilt!? I was going to add a couple of borders, but now that I see it I think it is done.


What do you think? Do I need borders. Right now it is a pretty large lap quilt (63" x 78"), if I added borders it would be a bed quilt, which I don't need, another reason why I think this is fine.

I ordered some Invisafil thread, and it came yesterday. (My oldest child named my blog and I come by the name honestly - you can never have too much thread!!)



It is a very fine polyester thread said to be an alternative to invisible thread. Where I ordered it they said it was great for machine applique. It has a matt finish, which I thought would be good, since I sometimes find invisible thread catches the light too much (even smoke coloured).



Well, I wanted to try it out so I used it on the fruit table runner. I used the dark thread for stitching in the ditch in the green, even though it wasn't the same colour it blended beautifully. I used the white to "McTavish" in the white section. I also tried some silk thread in the orange star. The invisafil was about the same size as the silk thread, and I thought they both worked wonderfully. I usually have trouble with polyester in my machine, but it was fine.

This was the first time I tried the YLI #100 silk thread. I used a #70 Microtex needle. I am using wool batting in the table runner.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

11 comments:

Renée's Country Quilts said...

Someone gave me the same fabric.. I have the fruits and the vegetables, small pieces I was going to use them for table runners, and place mats. I didn't know how to do that without making it look too busy. You did a good job on yours. I am glad I saw it. I love your quilting as well.
Renee

Renée's Country Quilts said...

Forgot to say, the pinwheel quilt turned out great.
Renee

Sandra Henderson said...

I love what you did with your fruit fabric. I have some pieces of various fruits that I've collected to do the typical "jar" quilt in honor of canning season, but never seen it used so glamorously. very pretty! Your quilting is really great!

Your quilt is so pretty. If you do not need another bed size, I'd stop right there. I think if it were mine, I'd try to frame it with a binding or small strip of the blue or redish color, but that's me. I love the blues in it ... Blue binding? I don't know. It's gorgeous! I really must quit fiddling with my blog so much and get busy stitching. I'm SO READY to get something done up! :)
I like the background fabric in this quilt, it looks so authentic., everthing about it does. Don't listen to me, just giving you my unexperienced thoughts... I know it will be gorgeous!

Cyndi said...

Joanne, your Pinwheel quilt turned out beautiful! And I think it looks great just as it is...I don't think it needs a border. Love it!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Joan said...

Pin wheel is beautiful - Love it ...abd if ciyrse tghe quilting ..off to get my FMQ done for today :)Need to practise McTavishing.

Joan said...

Sorry - forgot to check the spelling :(...meant to read... and of course the quilting :) Dreaded typos have got me again !!!!

jilly said...

Your pinwheel looks stunning just the way it is, I wouldn't add borders. Another wonderful job, Joanne.

Blessings,
Jilly

GailM. said...

I think a nice dark thin binding is all you need. It's so nice. I love all the different blocks. I agree, you can't have to much thread. I bought some polyester invisible thread and I'm going to try it out in the next few days. I'm all set to do your free motion challenge. I'm lining up things to practice. First practice will be on sunday morning. I'd like to learn how to do Mctavishing. Iike yours and I need a quickie tutorial on how to do it!!

Deanna said...

I like the spots of blue especially well. And the detailing in the baby pinwheels. And I think it is just fine without borders because of the pinwheels. And I look forward to seeing it finished. And I hope you use a dark binding and blue would be my choice if you have it.

OK--I just like the whole thing!

Wendy said...

If you're happy with your pinwheel quilt (beautiful!) the size it is, I'd finish it right there.

I'm like you, I don't need anymore bed quilts. Yet I just ordered more batting. Go figure!

I love the way McTavishing looks on white! I'm going to try it on black very soon. Nicely quilted table runner.

Gloria said...

Your Pinwheel looks great! I agree with the others, if you don't want it any bigger, then add a nice dark binding to frame it. Maybe add a strip of your background fabric first, so the little pinwheels float.

The tablerunner looks great, too!