Monday, August 27, 2018

New Flimsy


This past week I finished sewing together some clamshells I had cut with the GO! cutter two years ago! Every now and then I have been sewing them together.


Trimmed it up (this way it looks like dragon scales). It is about 37"x45". I made the clamshells for the centre of a medallion quilt using blocks from two years ago - 365 Challenge blocks from 2016. I knew that I would only be making some of the 3" blocks - 81 at the time,


and I needed to piece 15 more to have enough to go around the centre (I just chose easy blocks to piece).


Pieced borders ready for sewing,


after adding strips of fabric to make up the difference between the centre and border (the magic of medallion quilts).


I also added a little border around the outside. I was going to add more borders, but then decided I didn't need another big quilt and this one is a really nice size - about 60"x70". Now I need to get some backing.

I also finished a couple of knitting projects, both gifts.


This first one is a Midge Shawl by Odessa Riechel.


I used hand spun yarn,


natural coloured silk and merino that I blended with sari silk threads and gold Angelina.



Also finished a pair of socks from commercial Cashmerino sock yarn that I dyed. I was surprised how different the socks are considering they are from the same skein.


Today I dyed some more fibre. I am so pleased with the top one - definitely my colours! Dyeing for me is always a fun surprise.


Our little furry visitor seems to have found a favourite spot in our basement - he has slept here a few times this past week.

All the best!♥︎

Monday, August 20, 2018

Weekly Quilt Blocks


This past week's quilt along blocks.


This first one is block #11, Direction, from Moda Blockheads 2, a 6" block.


This one is from the 1880 Sampler Sew Along quilt along from the Temecula Quilt Company blog, a 4" block.

All the best!♥︎

Monday, August 13, 2018

Finished Shawl

This week's quilt along blocks - 


I can see this one needs to be pressed better -


It is the Sampler 1880 Sew Along block from the Temecula Quilt Company blog, a 4" block.


This one is the Moda Blockhead 2, block #10 'Ducks and Ducklings', a 12" block.

This week I finished knitting a shawl with some of my first handspun yarn.


The pattern is Campside by Alicia Plummer, a free pattern from Pom Pom Magazine.


Not only is the yarn from 2013 when I first started spinning, but it is also one of my first hand dyed yarns. It is a soft merino alpaca blend (one ply of each). I had started a couple other projects with this yarn, but they never seemed right. I am really happy with this.


I also finished weaving this little sample project using leftover handspun from the Granny Stripe blanket. I'll probably make a pillow with it.

All the best!♥︎

Monday, August 6, 2018

Quilt Blocks, Knitting and Sewing

This past week I caught up on some quilt along blocks.


This first on is the Antebellum Album block from the Civil War Quilts Blog - a 12" block.


This one is the Moda Blockhead block #7 (I decided I didn't want to make blocks 8 and 9) - this is a 6" block.


These ones are the 1880 Sampler Sew Along blocks from the Temecula Quilt Company for the past few weeks - 4"blocks (one is a smaller version of the Moda Blockhead block).


For knitting I finished this tiny bag - the Weightless Produce Bag (a free pattern from Simply Notable).


It was designed to reduce the use of single use plastic bags. I used #10 crochet cotton and it weighs just 9 grams. It was a quick knit, and amazing how much it stretches.


I also made a couple more Blackwood Cardigans (I have made 4 so far). This is such a simple pattern, that is so well drafted. The grey one is the second one I made with a slinky rayon (the first one went to my Mother), and the cream one is made from very stretchy 100% cotton (actually from a fitted sheet, when 't-shirt sheets' were popular, but I didn't like it - I was cleaning out the linen closet and was going to get rid of it, it is perfect for a light weight cardigan).

All the best!♥︎