Friday, April 20, 2012

Frustration



I finished Crosses Mourning - January's small quilt of the month. It is 17" square, the blocks are 5". The pattern is from Kathleen Tracy's Prairie Children and their Quilts.


I used wool batting for the "puffiness".



This is the back of the outside border - I chose a simple feather border ("open-heart feather"), because I knew that quilting wouldn't be visible in the border fabric, but I love feathers and add them when ever possible! I did stitch on the binding before quilting the border - I find it helpful to make sure the design fits in the space, especially when the border is narrow (the above border is 2" wide).

My frustration came when I broke...


one (oh no!)...


two (aahhh!)..


three (arrghh!!!) titanium needles in a span of 5 minutes!!!

I was just quilting the above quilt - regular fabric, wool batting, sewing slowly - nothing unusual! So much for titanium needles bending instead of breaking (although one bent before it broke into 3 pieces -it even froze my sewing machine, with a huge exclamation point for warning on the display screen - "motor overload"), or finding out if titanium needles last 5 times longer than regular needles!
I switched back to a Mircotex needle for the rest of the quilting.


After the little quilt was finished I decided that it was enough quilting for a day (three broken needles before 8am was enough), so I switched hobbies and made another piece of punch needle embroidery. This one is 3" across. It is going to be put onto a small tin (more when it is finished).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...