Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hour Glass Blocks

Hop To It by Edyta Sitar

I have been working on hour glass blocks that are the sashing for the Hop to It quilt.


My blocks are 12" (instead of 11.5" in the book), and so I cut out 62 - 4.25" light squares and 62 - 4.25" dark squares.


Instead of cutting the squares into triangles (like the book), I chose to make the hour glasses the easy way. By drawing a diagonal line on the back of the light square, matching it with a dark square, sewing 1/4" on either side of the line and then cutting the square in half on the line.


I repeated the process with two half square triangles and ended up with the hour glasses. They have been trimmed to 3.5" (they will be 3" finished).


I spiralled the centre seam to that they would lie flat.


We still have three blocks to make, but this is my quilt top so far.


I am trying to use fabric from my stash, but I don't have enough for the biggest outer border, so I might buy some fabric, or make the quilt with one border - I'll wait and see.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...