Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Echoes Today

Today on my machine quilting practicing I worked on echoes.


It amazes me how much better the feather (and other shapes) look with an echo.



and so the more the merrier -


I used 100% cotton Gutermann thread and a #70 jeans needle. The batting is wool.

Diane Gaudynski says to look at the space between the lines and not at the line you are sewing.
I wear quilting gloves when I quilt and I have found when I am doing this type of detail work I really use just my fingertips.
I am trying some quilting patterns that are from 365 Days of Free Motion Quilting too.

I hope you join my friend Wendy and I in sewing everyday for the month of April.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

7 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful. Inspirational.

I too am working on my quilting skills. Love what you created. Thank you for sharing and for inspiring. Great job!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Joan said...

Joanne ... that is looking wonderful. I checked out sewing machines today - the Bernina 830 was GREAT ...but what a price...thinking about it. Not sure if I wouold need the embroidery bit though. Tried the BSR again ...but that gets away from me...off to practise...will try to keep up with you and Wendy :) Andrea did well in the demo's . I think I will go and do some more sewing when I wake up a bit..drove about 180kms...and I am beat!
I think its great the way you get your corridors...I am definitely needing to practise THAT.. Will be back!

Wendy said...

Yours looks so lovely and even. Mine is just nothing but wobbles sometimes. Sigh. How far apart are your echoes around the feathers? I don't like my FMQ foot. It's all metal and it clanks and I can't see anything. I've ordered an open toe plastic, but I don't have it yet. I was also thinking of trying out the BigFoot. But that's being saved for a different, wealthier day.

jilly said...

Glad to see you sewing everyday. The machine quilting looks beautiful. Have my samples together, but still no machine quilting. I really do love hand quilting and feel like I'm cheating...hahaha

Blessings,
Jilly

Gloria said...

I agree, about the echo quilting around the feathers, it adds so much and defines them, too! Nice job!

joan said...

OMG can't get enough of looking at your work. I am just starting in the free motion quitling.
Absolutely gorgeous!

GailM. said...

I agree, the echo is a great technique. I'm just chomping at the bit to get sewing. It's been 5 days and I'm having withdrawl. We'll be home tomorrow!!