Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tatting Overview

Yesterday I mentioned that tatting was "mindless" and had a few comments.

It did take me awhile to learn to tat, but once I got the hang of it, it is really very simple.
(I am no expert. There are great resources online to learn to tat or to learn more about it.)


Tatting only take a few things - a shuttle (this style is my favourite - it is easy to hold on to), some good tightly twisted thread (DMC Cebelia is my favourite),


plus some sort of hook - I use this tatting shuttle that I don't like to tat with as my hook (I found that the hook kept getting caught for tatting), I added a piece of fabric (so it would be harder to loose) and it makes a great hook (I used to use a crotchet hook but kept loosing it).


Tatting consists of two half stitches that make a whole stitch. When you make the stitches the key is transferring the "knot" from the thread in the shuttle hand -


to the thread in the other hand - this was the hardest part of tatting when I started.


There are three stitches on my finger consisting of 6 half stitches. I am working on ring so all the thread is from the shuttle.


Tatting is made up of rings and chains - here is a chain, the thread comes from the shuttle and the ball for chains.


Here I am closing a ring by pulling on the shuttle thread. If I didn't transfer the knots, I wouldn't be able to close the ring. One of the most important things is not to make a mistake since it is very hard to unpick - especially rings (although it can be done with patience), so I always double check before I close a ring.


Joining of rings and chains is done looping thread through "picots" - a space left between stitches, shown in the above picture.


Here is the pattern that I am working on - it is made up of a large motif (the coasters) that when you join to others make great secondary designs.


I have made it before and I am working on two others (that's the book it is from). The white completed one is with #40 DMC thread (it has 7 motifs), the beige one is #30 Cebelia thread (this is the one that I take on holiday with me, because it takes no space to carry and I don't worry about taking it on a plane - it has gone to Italy and France), the pink one is #10 Cebelia thread. I found that the #10 thread is too big and I was going to get rid of it, but decided to make something with just four motifs (there are 3 so far, and I am working on the fourth). The beige one I will keep adding motifs to, so I don't know how it will end.

It is not like I need another doily, but I like to keep my hands busy (heaven forbid I sit still, plus it keeps my hands out of the chip bag!).


This is how I drew the pattern out. I find that it is easier to follow a diagram rather that a written pattern. This one is such a simple pattern to memorize, so I don't refer to the pattern any more, just count stitches in my head.

Can you tell I am trying to blog every day for the month of April - so I will be searching for things to blog about!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...