Friday, April 20, 2012

Frustration



I finished Crosses Mourning - January's small quilt of the month. It is 17" square, the blocks are 5". The pattern is from Kathleen Tracy's Prairie Children and their Quilts.


I used wool batting for the "puffiness".



This is the back of the outside border - I chose a simple feather border ("open-heart feather"), because I knew that quilting wouldn't be visible in the border fabric, but I love feathers and add them when ever possible! I did stitch on the binding before quilting the border - I find it helpful to make sure the design fits in the space, especially when the border is narrow (the above border is 2" wide).

My frustration came when I broke...


one (oh no!)...


two (aahhh!)..


three (arrghh!!!) titanium needles in a span of 5 minutes!!!

I was just quilting the above quilt - regular fabric, wool batting, sewing slowly - nothing unusual! So much for titanium needles bending instead of breaking (although one bent before it broke into 3 pieces -it even froze my sewing machine, with a huge exclamation point for warning on the display screen - "motor overload"), or finding out if titanium needles last 5 times longer than regular needles!
I switched back to a Mircotex needle for the rest of the quilting.


After the little quilt was finished I decided that it was enough quilting for a day (three broken needles before 8am was enough), so I switched hobbies and made another piece of punch needle embroidery. This one is 3" across. It is going to be put onto a small tin (more when it is finished).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

Kimme said...

Your frustration is definitely understandable :( I would return them it may be that you were unlucky and got a bad lot. Love the little quilt and the punch embroidery.

Karen said...

Enlightening post, Joanne. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
Your quilting is spectacular, as always.

Raewyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raewyn said...

Ouch - 3 on such a little quilt can only be called frustrating!! I do like the puffiness the wool batting gives - and lovely quilting. The punch embroidery is very cute - and tiny!
(Sorry deleted previous comment as I had too many typos!!)

jillyヅ said...

Wonderful little quilt. I am sorry it looked like you would not get it quilted. I hate it so when I break a needle.

blessings, jilly

corina said...

Breaking a needle is so jarring! Really rattles me when it happens. Too bad about the titanium needles. Maybe the wool batting came from sheep on steroids? Ha Ha (i'm obviously up too late) Your quilt turned out beautiful!

Wendy said...

Sheep on steroids! I like that. Truthfully, though, you may have gotten some bad needles. Time and further testing will prove it. I'd contact the sellers anyway.

Ruth said...

Yikes! Three needles in 5 minutes?!? Thanks for showing your border heart feathers. I think I'll try that on a little quilt that I have needing quilting. I've seen it before, but wasn't sure how to do it, so now I have practiced it on paper and think I have it figured out.

cayena said...

un poco tedioso que se rompan las agujas cuando estamos loco por terminar algo y ver el resultado de los que hacemos,buen fin de semana

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Three needles broken....bummer!!!!!

Thank you for showing your border on this quilt. I just finished the same design and now ready to quilt. Yours is delightful!

:) Carolyn

Sheila said...

Adorable little quilt , so sorry that you had three needles break , they must be a bad lot , Your punch needle is sweet too:-)

Tammy said...

Hi Joanne, Your mini quilt is gorgeous. Three titanium needles breaking in five minutes is indeed annoying. Your punch needle is lovely.

Diane H said...

Joanne, I too have a Husqvarna machine similar to yours. When I bought it and received classes the instructor told us to throw out our 'cheap' needles (which bend) and use more expensive needles that break as this does less damage to the machine. Obviously, your titanium needles aren't cheap and they shouldn't be breaking at this rate. On the other hand, I would have lost an eye from a breaking needle awhile back if I hadn't been wearing my glasses!

Deanna said...

Beautiful quilting, as usual, but I am sorry it cost you three needles.

pixilatedtoo said...

I've had days like that, and I know your frustration! I have been following your blog for a bit and appreciate all that you do. Such beautiful work. Thank you for sharing and for your tutorials. I find them so inspiring! ~ Lynda

Joan said...

THat's not a good day at all...very unusual for 3 to break- I would definitely do as Wendy suggested and contact the dealers. I have had the needles bend on me, but never break. Your quilt is gorgeous, and I do like how your have quilted it. Where will this one go...which wall :)

Mike Pearson said...

I'm having the same problem. That's how I just came across your post. I am using titanium 90/14, polyester (Quilter's Dream). I was fine for the first half of the quilt, then all of a sudden every 15 minutes... BAM! Broke 2 titanium needles and one regular one. I don't know what changed. I usually use cotton batting. This is the first time I have used polyester. I think maybe it's pulling the needle and bending it so that when it comes down it hits the plate. I tried changing the speed of my hands and foot but have not been able to fix it. I was thinking of getting a heavier needle that would not bend, but I don't want holes in my fabric :( Very frustrating!