Sunday, April 22, 2012

More Dear Jane



Today I made 5 more Dear Jane blocks, now there are 12.
There is a very helpful website - That Quilt - that has instructions for all the blocks (since the book has none).


This one was tricky and took me a few hours (for a 5" block!! Now I think my quilt is getting smaller by the day - maybe it will just be a table runner!), but at least I made it.


I paper pieced it - the above piece of paper is 3", it is the centre of the block.


The method I use, you don't sew on the paper, but fold all the lines before stitching,


and then stitch beside the fold. There is a good tutorial here.
I don't use freezer paper since I am just making little blocks. I use a bit of glue stick glue to set the first piece and work from there. Also since I am using cheap paper, just drawing the lines is enough to score the line for folding.

I said that the above block was tricky, but maybe I was having an off day -


this one stumped me too! The centre was supposed to be cream (it is now). I paper pieced it too.

There are so many beautiful variations of the quilt (google images), that I think I will start picking and choosing which blocks I will make, because I know I won't have enough cream to make them all.

I have made my Dear Jane blocks for this week (I am trying to make a few a week) and have cleaned my sewing room, ready for a different project (maybe another small quilt of the month).


I have been using scrappy tumblers as "leader and enders", and made quite a few rows this weekend - I think I almost have enough to sew into a quilt top (this will be a charity quilt).


I turned the little piece of punch needle embroidery I made the other day into a top for an old tin.


This is the tin after I spray painted it with some paint I had.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!


Update - Here is another lovely Dear Jane blog - "Janiac's Unite" - thanks Heather.

11 comments:

Doniene said...

I love the colors for the DJ blocks!! and the needle point on the tin is just way to cute!! You amaze me!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your blocks continue to amaze me. Thanks for the link to the folded paper paper piecing. Darling little punch needle embroidery.

Needled Mom said...

Wow....more DJ blocks! They are really pretty too. You will be done with it in no time at all.

Anne said...

I'm working on some of the Farmer's Wife blocks which will finish at 6". To go even smaller to do the Dear Jane blocks deserves a medal in my book!

I love that tumbler quilt - they look like flower pots all stacked on top on each other. Or tumblers! :oD

Sylke said...

I like your Dear Jans Blocks so much!

Now I have began to quilt the quilt from your SAL - it takes time and that's okay :)

Me and My Stitches said...

Your blocks look so good! And I see you made the one that stopped my progress - and yours looks wonderful.

Karen said...

I like the idea of adding the punch needle piece to the tin. There is one brand of pins that used to come in a little tin similar to that.

RETRO-Fabulous Blog said...

GREAT dear jane blocks!! Love the altoid, tin, too...hadn't considered painting them----pure genius.
Happy Stitching,
Heather

Raewyn said...

Great to see what you have been working on - and to see that infamous 'several hour' block!! It turned out really well. Thanks to the link for the foundation/paper piecing - I'll definately be giving that method a try. Your little tin looks so good!!

Kris said...

Congrats on starting your Dear Jane journey. I have really enjoyed working on my blocks and still have a ways to go.
Love your little tin as well. I have just started needle punch and really enjoy it.

Barb said...

what a fun post. Your DJ blocks are looking great.
How did you affix the needle punch to the tin lid? I turned out really great