Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April's Small Quilt

Karen (For the Love of Needle and Thread) recently suggested that I might like to join Kathleen Tracy's (A Sentimental Quilter) Small Quilt Group on Yahoo. Well, she was right - it is a lovely, informative group.
This year Kathleen is having a "quilt of the month" - using patterns from her books, but this month's pattern is a free one on her website.


This is the April quilt of the month.
I decided to make mine a bit smaller, and made 3" blocks. The quilt is 9" x 13".


I tried this Kimono Silk, a 100Wt thread for the free motion quilting, using a #70 titanium top stitching - it  sewed beautifully. The quilting in the squares was with the walking foot and Aurifil #50 thread, because I wanted the stitching to be visible.


I quilted some feathered hearts in the 3" plain squares.


The quilt was washed and because I used cotton batting, it is all nice and crinkled now.


I made the quilt smaller than the pattern because I wanted a little quilt to display on my featherweight machine.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

13 comments:

jillyヅ said...

That is a lovely little quilt and it looks perfect with your featherweight.

blessings, jilly

Raewyn said...

Wow with the tiny feathers!! What a lovely wee quilt for your Featherweight.

Fiesta said...

It is adorable.

Impera_Magna said...

Beautiful quilt... I was admiring your 3" blocks until I saw the quilting on the plain squares... Wow! Working in miniature is difficult and your quilting motifs are fabulous and amazing at that scale!

Elyte said...

Lovely version of Kathy's April challenge.

corina said...

What a great photo! The little quilt is lovely and pairs perfectly with your Featherweight.

sandi s said...

Your little quilt is so pretty. I love all your pictures. Welcome to the SmallQuilt group. Sandi/AL

Barb said...

adorable! I love it under the feather weight - what a great little vignette

Sylke said...

It's beautiful. love your quilting!

Deanna said...

Such a sweet little quilt. Maybe you could really quilt one that size on your Featherweight?

Karen said...

Love the fabrics and as usual, your quilting is amazing! Making it smaller for your sweet machine was such a great idea. Makes for a wonderful display! So glad you decided to join the group too.

Rose said...

I am also following Kathleen Tracy's quilt challenge. You are doing great and your hand quilting is amazing.

Heather said...

Great work! I have mine as far as cut, but that's it. Your quilting is darling and suits the quilt perfectly!
Happy stitching!
Heather