Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hour Glass Blocks

Hop To It by Edyta Sitar

I have been working on hour glass blocks that are the sashing for the Hop to It quilt.


My blocks are 12" (instead of 11.5" in the book), and so I cut out 62 - 4.25" light squares and 62 - 4.25" dark squares.


Instead of cutting the squares into triangles (like the book), I chose to make the hour glasses the easy way. By drawing a diagonal line on the back of the light square, matching it with a dark square, sewing 1/4" on either side of the line and then cutting the square in half on the line.


I repeated the process with two half square triangles and ended up with the hour glasses. They have been trimmed to 3.5" (they will be 3" finished).


I spiralled the centre seam to that they would lie flat.


We still have three blocks to make, but this is my quilt top so far.


I am trying to use fabric from my stash, but I don't have enough for the biggest outer border, so I might buy some fabric, or make the quilt with one border - I'll wait and see.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

jillyヅ said...

I love the hour glass blocks, though I have made them much larger. Such patience to make them smaller. This will be another beauty.

blessings, jilly

Wendy said...

A beauty! I don't think you'll be happy with just one border, though.

Lesley said...

This is so beautiful...a real work of art!

Jill said...

This quilt is beautiful!!

Barb said...

great so far. The hour glass blocks adds a lot of color and interest -
I with I could figure out that spiraling thing

Raewyn said...

Love it love it love it!! You must be so pleased with how it's coming together.

Linda said...

Looks awesome!!!! That's the way I made my HG blocks for Hop To It too!!! Was way better I thought!