Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Might Be Addicted


I bought these two books yesterday at the quilt show - "Dear Jane" and "The Civil War Sewing Circle", both lovely books.


I thought I would try some Dear Jane blocks with Batik fabric, just for fun. They certainly are fun to make, and I am now thinking I am going to buy some background fabric to get started on a large Dear Jane!! Addicted??!!...
The blocks are 4.5" square (finished size), and I used foundation paper piecing, machine appliqué and regular piecing to make them.


When I made the freezer paper templates for the machine appliqué, I only traced one design and then stapled the other layers of freezer paper together, to make cutting out the templates faster.


I added some 3" borders, and I will machine quilt it tomorrow

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Oh my... I just made four blocks finishing at 6"... trying to imagine sewing a smaller block...

I love the JS blocks in the orange batiks... very, very nice! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for all the rest of the blocks!

Raewyn said...

Very stunning!! With each block different you're sure to kept on your toes!

Kristie said...

Oh my Joanne, you are either addicted or crazy one! LOL! Honestly they are both great books. I do have the Dear Jane book and I think I have somewhere around 30 of the EASIER blocks finished. I put it away but I wold like to someday finish it.
Have a wonderful day
Kristie

Judy said...

I like the contrast of the traditional blocks with the modern feeling batiks! Great color choices.

Karen said...

I'd love to see you do a Dear Jane quilt. It is sure to be amazing!
I bought that Civil War Sewing Circle book last year and love it. I just got Kathleen Tracy's other three books too, from Chapters on-line at 34%off and they look to be just as good. She has a Yahoo small quilts group, which I'm learning so much from. There is a challenge going on this year to do a quilt from one of her books each month. I'm using my scraps from your quilt-along, to do them. I bet you'd enjoy it too. Email me if you need any links.

Betty Lou said...

Enjoy your new books, I have Civil War Sewing Circle and love all of Kathleen Tracy's books but I don't think I am up for a Dear Jane. Love yours though.

Terri said...

4 blocks in 3 different techniques - antique patterns in modern fabrics... WOW! Love it!
Hugs!

Quilting Queen said...

Hi JoAnne...I have joined you in your addiction...found a copy of Dear Jane at our biannual Gathering of the Guilds this weekend...can't wait to make my second one...this time I will have ALL the patterns. Then I will have to look for the Civil War sampler...so many quilts, so little time...

Eileen said...

How did you do those so fast? Plus-they look amazing!
I've had the book and software for 2 years and I've only done 5 blocks.
I like what you've started with the batiks-do you think you'll stay with those colors?

Heather said...

You have 2 of my most favourite books! I too love the Dear Jane quilt and even bought the EQ6/7 program that has all the blocks! Your bali Baby Jane so bright and fun! Perfect for spring!
Heather