Friday, February 4, 2011

First February Finish!!

I am so happy to say that the Romanian Point Lace table center is all finished!

Only took me about 21 months!!!! Although I only really started working on it in the past year.
Once it was washed and dried it came out to about 24"/61cm (the pattern was 27"/69cm).


Even the leaves that I was worried about turned out nicely. I used #10 Cebelia (crochet cotton) for this (other details about the pattern are here).

I made the table center for this old table.

I had made this piece of Hardanger about 8 years ago, but I wanted something bigger,

turns out the new lace is only a bit bigger, after all the shrinkage - but I am still very pleased. This is the most amount of time/work that I have ever put into a project!!! My oldest child asked me what the point of it was? I think its main purpose was keeping my hands busy (and out of a chip bag!!) while I watched TV .

If you want to give this beautiful lace technique a try - why not check out my Romanian Point Lace Tutorial.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

24 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

The lace table topper is just lovely... and you made it because... just like those who climb Mt. Everest... to see if you could... congratulations!

jillyヅ said...

27"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought all this time it was maybe 10-12 inches. Wow, and double wow.

blessings,
jilly

Mrs A said...

that is very beautiful, it looks lovely on your table -its perfect, well done!

Stray Stitches said...

Absolutely stunning!! Your work is gorgeous!! Congratulations on a finish for 2011!

Quilt Rat said...

What a SPECIAL piece! absolutely fabulous. I think I might be tempted to have this framed...it IS art!

I too, like to keep my hands busy with hand work for that same reason LOL......but seriously don't we all put the effort into our projects for the pure, simple joy creating brings us?

Terry said...

It's just beautiful! :0)

Bethany said...

It's simply gorgeous.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Breath taking!

joan said...

Absolutely gorgeous.. Well worth all the time it took to finish it , I say!
It looks great on your table.

Linda said...

That's amazing!!
I'm totally impressed!
Linda

Joan said...

So breathtakingly beautiful- this is heirloom quality gorgeous! I am so impressed with your talent!

Patty said...

It is absolutely beautiful!!!

Ursula said...

Absolutly Stunning, Amazing.... just BEAUTIFUL..thank you so much for sharing...I have put this craft on my list to learn. But I've oticed not many patterns are there ...but thanks again for sharing .....

Wendy said...

Nicely done! Pretty table and nook for it, too.

Nancy said...

So very pretty. I was in Limerick, Ireland many years ago and we watched the nuns making lace. It is such a long process but well worth it when you are finished.

LiahonaGirl said...

That is just amazing! You did a beautiful piece that is sure to become a family heirloom!

Jane S. said...

So beautiful! Well done.

Karen said...

So gorgeous! What an heirloom piece that will be for your family. I didn't realize it was so large; thanks for the pics. It's in a wonderful setting. I love that Hardanger piece too. I've always wanted to learn that. Would you consider doing a tutorial on a small ornament or doily in it sometime? hint, hint! ;)

GerryART said...

An incredible treasure.
Hugs

Jen said...

I can't believe you made this! It's gorgeous! I would be so proud. Very impressive!

Linda said...

Gorgeous finish Joanne! It's the perfect spot for it! It's so much bigger than I thought. It would look nice on a table at my house too! :-)

Sheila said...

Simply stunning and it looks so difficult to do , I did lots of crochet years ago but this looks much more complicated than that . You should be very proud of both this and the hardanger it is beautiful as well . Sheila

Needled Mom said...

I would have answered the "What is the point of it" with a simple word - "Romanian." It is just stunning. You did a beautiful job on it.

Myra said...

Your lace is absolutely beautiful Joanne, and a lot bigger than I had imagined!