Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Block #17

This week I chose "Ohio Star" from EQ7 (I made one slight adjustment- more later).

It was a quick, easy block too make.

You will need -

Background (this patterns works well with a directional fabric) -

1 - 4¼" square - for the hourglass units (this is where I made the change - EQ7 calls for a 4+3/16" square for a 9" block, but 4¼" works better - the hourglass will be trimmed)

4 - 3½" squares for the corners

Print A (mine is dark green)

2- 4¼" squares - for the hourglass units

Print B (mine is gold) -

1- 4¼" square - for the hourglass units

Print C (mine is red) -

1 - 3½" square -for the center

To make the hourglass units start by making half square triangles with one background square and one print A square, and one print B square and one print A square. Draw a diagonal line and sew ¼" on either side, cut along the line.

Here are the four half square triangles (note the colours - 2 with print A and background, and 2 with print A and print B). Press the seams towards print A.

Repeat the HST process, this time pairing a print A/B HST with a print A/background HST, locking the seams together.

Trim the resulting four hourglass units to 3½" squares.

I pressed the seams open at the center of the hourglass to reduce bulk.

Now all the pieces are ready to be sewn together in the regular nine-patch method.

Trim the block to 9½".

I made the second one the same way - can you tell we are coming to an end!?
I originally thought this block was too simple, but it is such a classic block that I wanted to include it. Lots of variations can be made - it could have another hourglass in the center or a four patch, as long as all the units measure 3½", also the print B could be replaced with background fabric (standard classic Ohio Star).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

9 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Beautiful block... love "Ohio Star"... very cool!

Mary L. said...

I'm late to the party but trying to catch up. I love repro fabrics and sampler quilts so couldn't resist when I found your Quiltalong. Thanks for all the hard work. Your instructions and pictures are wonderful. I've posted pictures of blocks 1-6 on my blog.

GerryART said...

Stars are just GREAT ! ! ! !

Linda said...

Love that block! I forget how pretty it really is. Will look very pretty along with the others!!

Needled Mom said...

It really is a classic and great block.

Myra said...

Blocks look wonderful Joanne! Great job with the directional fabric! 8-)

These quilts are all going to be awesome! 8-)

cw said...

The block is beautiful. So glad you included it in the quilt. I introduced a couple of my friends here in winnipeg to your blog and they loved it. There will now be 3 of us starting the quiltalong! We have the advantage in that we get to see all your comleted blocks for inspiration.

Scrappy quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scrappy quilter said...

I skipped #16 for now and made two of these instead. I love this block. On to #18 now.