Thursday, February 10, 2011

Machine Quilting

Today I quilted a lap quilt that my sister made.

The pattern is Friendship Braid (without the borders) from "Jelly Roll Quilts" by Pam and Nicky Lintott. It is made from one jelly roll (Heritage 1846 by Howard Marcus) and measures 43" x 54".

She chose an all over meander pattern and the quilt has wool batting and flannel backing. I quilted it with Aurifi 50wt thread - I started with a beautiful, variegated "Tutti" thread by Wonderfil (also a 50wt thread but thicker than Aurifl 50wt), but it kept breaking and was too frustrating to work with, so I switched to the reliable Aurifil.

This is my set up when I quilt a large quilt - I replace the little plexiglas sewing machine table with an old countertop that my DH made into a sewing machine table - set up on my dining room table - this works great to hold all the weight of a large quilt (the dining room table has been moved to be closer to a plug and so I can see/hear the TV).

The hibiscus had an unusual flower this week.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

14 comments:

Mrs A said...

your sister did a fabulous quilt,
i have this book and looked at that pattern but never really liked it but it looks really good without the borders, so now i will try it, i love it! I love your quilting too.
That is a huge extention table what a wonderful DH he is to make this for you.

Karen said...

Hi, Joanne: Your quilting is always a treat for the eyes. That's a terrific extension!

Linda said...

Beautiful job quilting! As always! Love your table set up. That's a great idea! My friend Patti is making that exact quilt right now in Kansas Troubles fabric. It such a beautiful pattern.

Kristie said...

Lovely flower! Your sister's quilt is very pretty! Love that design and the fabrics that she used.
Kristie

Wendy said...

See, now, that's exactly my problem with Wonderfil, too!

I spoke to a woman at a quilt shop that agreed that machines like and dislike certain threads.

Patti said...

Hi, I'm the friend of Linda's. My french braid is ready to go together and I did purchase some fabric for a border. I wanted it a little bigger. I love the way it's turning out and can't wait to finish it up. Trying to finish my Hop to It, that both Linda and I made then it's on to finish up the braid quilt.

Quilt Azubi said...

your husband did a good job. :))
Today is your anniversary, right? ;))
CONGRATULATION!!

Quilt looks great-I like the colors !!

greetings
Kat

GailM. said...

I have a braid quilt on my to do list too. I was thinking of making the Bonnie Hunter version with the red corner blocks. I need to find the pattern first. :) Love that extension table.

Karen said...

I like the colors in the quilt. I think a Braid quilt is a great way to use a variety of fabrics and they always seem to look good.

Angie said...

Awesome use of a counter-top, and a hubby for that matter! ;)

Impera_Magna said...

Beautiful quilt with lovely fabrics!

I like so need/want that sewing machine extension table! What a fabulous idea...

Cat said...

I am so amazed at the beautiful quilting you do with a regular machine. It is beautiful. Kudos to your husband for making the quilting table for you. Genius. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Picture doesn't do Joanne's quilting "justice" - You has done such a good job of FMQ! I am the owner of this quilt. I am fortunate to have you help me with my sewing & to have you FMQ this quilt. Thank you, from Marie

Jen said...

Great quilting, as usual! That's an amazing table set-up that you have!