Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Block #16

This weeks block is called Wedding Ring.


I chose it because my wedding anniversary is this week.

DH and I, February 11th, 1989

For this block you will need -

Background -

6 - 2+3/4" squares for the half square triangles (HST)
2 - 2+5/8" squares, cut in half on the diagonal
5 - 2+5/16" squares

Print A (mine is burgundy) -

2 - 2+5/16" x 6+5/8" rectangles
2 - 2+5/16" squares

Print B (mine is paisley) -

4 - 2+3/4" squares for the half square triangles (HST)

Print C (mine is dark beige) -

2 - 2+3/4" squares for the half square triangles (HST)


With the 2+3/4" squares (print B and C squares paired with the background squares) make the HST (draw a diagonal line, stitch ¼" on either side, cut on the line and press the units open). Trim the 12 HST to 2+5/16" squares.

Trim the ends of the two 2+5/16" x 6+5/8" rectangles, at a 45° from the bottom.

This might seem a bit more complicated than other blocks - but it works! Thankfully!

Sew the background triangles at the corners. This unit should measure 5+7/8" x 2+5/16".

Sew together the two 2+5/16" print A squares with a 2+5/16" background square as shown.

Sew the three units into a square.

Sew together two HST and a 2+5/16" background square - make two of these units.

Sew them to the center unit.

Sew together the remaining HST and the two remaining 2+5/16" background squares to make the top and bottom rows of the block. Sew them to the center unit.

Trim the block to 9½".

I made the second block the same way.

I was worried about this block because of cutting the corners of the rectangles - so I was thrilled that it worked out!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

13 comments:

Cat said...

Love the block. Hope you have a Happy Anniversary. Hugs.

Needled Mom said...

Happy anniversary! It looks like a fun block.

Impera_Magna said...

Wishing you a wonderful anniversary and many happy returns of the day!

Joan said...

HAve a wonderful Anniversary Joanne. I need to get to those blocks - the latest one is lovely :)

Linda said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the photo! You look the SAME!! :-)
Love this block design!

allsewnup said...

Thank you for sharing this block, I really like the end result. I found you through OWOH and I'm so glad I did. Your blog is fantastic.
Happy Anniversary!

Carolyn

Wendy said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Sheila said...

I love this block, I made one for our son's wedding a number of years ago to use for the rings .Happy Anniversary !

Colleen said...

This wedding ring block is so appropriate for celebrating your anniversary. CONGRATULATIONS! We will celebrate 44 yrs on April 29!

Cyndi said...

Love that block, Joanne, thanks for the tute! And Happy Anniversary tomorrow! I was married in 1989 also, only in December!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Pamela said...

Happy Anniversary! Great picture of the 2 of you!

Scrappy quilter said...

Although this is late, Happy Anniversary. We celebrated our 43rd on the 24th of Feb.

Just finished 2 of these blocks. I only have #18 and #20 to go and then I can start putting them all together. Hope to get them done today. Hugs

Anne said...

I just reached this block, and wanted to wish you a belated Happy Anniversay and also wanted to thank you for your site. Quilting is a new passion and hobby for me, and your clear instructions and creative ideas have helped me so much. I don't think I'll have my quilt finished by the end of May, but I hope to send you a photo anyways once it is finished. Your site is fantastic, thanks for all the generously provided tips for the new players!