Monday, February 28, 2011

D's Quilt Officially Finished

The label is sewn -

so now the pinwheel quilt is officially finished! (I tried some Zentangling on the label.)


It is my first PhD Challenge quilt finished!!

This quilt is made from fabric that I inherited from a family friend. My youngest son wanted to design a quilt on EQ7, and he came up with this quilt to use the fabric. He also sewed a few of the blocks.
The quilt is 62" x 74". The pinwheels are 12" blocks, made with 6+7/8" squares to make the HST's. It has 7" borders.
I used wool batting (Tuscany Heirloom) and flannel backing.

I quilted it on my home sewing machine, with lots of free form feathers (no marking - too lazy!). I thought that the black fabric was the main fabric and the grey the background, so I did feathers in all the black, but once I started adding "McTavishing" to the grey areas, I realized that the feathers weren't noticeable, so I added a few feathers to the grey.
I used mostly Invisafil (100wt) on the top and Aurifil (which I buy from Tristan) for the bobbin. I did have to switch to all Aurifil for the last 3 borders because the bobbin case kept jumping out of place. I had no problems once there was Aurifil in the top. I think the Invisafil was too static - I did try putting it in the freezer for a bit and it helped for a while.

The switch in thread is not noticeable.
I tried a new (to me) border design that was lots of fun - free form feathers that had all different sizes of "blobs" (I am sure there is a technical term?).

The back of the quilt.
The stay stitching lines aren't really noticeable. A few people made a suggestion to use thread that washes out for the stay stitching - great idea - thanks!!

Do rabbits have clocks?

I started noticing that every morning, just before 8 am, the rabbits come to the back door. It is the time that I normally have some fruit/vegetable trimmings from breakfast and school lunch preparations to throw out. OK, I guess they have me trained!! They usually get a little something extra!! They're so cute!

Tonight's sunset.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

14 comments:

Joan said...

Joanne - what a lovely quilt - I wish I could have seen more of your label :) Those bunnies are so cute... and trained :) It looks so lovely and cold there...so much heat day after day here! Again - I love your quilt.

LiahonaGirl said...

Just gorgeous Joanne! How great that your son was involved in the project. You are so expert at quilting with your sewing machine!
Nancy

LaDonna and Diana said...

I learned a lot from your post! I didn't know what "PhD" meant in the quilting world or "zentangling", but now I do! The quilt is beautiful!

LaDonna

Mary Ann said...

Wow...your quilt is beautiful. I'm impressed with how you managed the feathers free form. Wonderful.

Karen said...

Simply beautiful, Joanne - your feathers really brought life to those pinwheels. (By the way, I think some folks call those blobs "plumes" :)

Impera_Magna said...

What a fantastic quilt... you did a great job with the quilting!

How sweet that the bunnies are waiting for you in the morning....

Country Log Cabin Quilter said...

Your quilting inspires me! I am quilting a basket quilt with a 7 1/2" border and want to do feathers in the border. It will be my first time quilting feathers! I'm going to refer to your pictures for some practice.

cw said...

Your feathers are beautiful. Like the previous poster, I will be referring to your pictures when I try feathers, although I think i will practice a lot before I attempt them on a quilt!

Terri said...

Love your quilt - especially the quilting... good job!
Also, the bunnies! How cute, and fun! We put out bread crusts and stale bread for our crows... once in a while we use the bread to mop up the fat that renders off when we fry or bake dinner. (Placates our sewerman, too.) The crows like that. They, too, come to the front door to remind us that there should be something out there for them. The squirrels like to share in the abundance.

Phoenix Heirlooms said...

What wonderful quilting - I love the feathers and the way you managed this on a home machine - I must try this on my next quilt and use you pics to guide me - well done

Rose Marie said...

Lovely quilt and it is done!!!

Wendy said...

Beautifully done!

Mrs A said...

fantastic, i love the quilting, and looked at zentangling, very interesting! I cant find any aurifil here in oz, but havent given up!

Linda said...

Wow! You did such a beautiful job with the quilting Joanne! Congratulations on a fabulous finish!!