Saturday, June 18, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In Results

Last night at the Friday Night Sew In I worked on a tumbler mug rug.

I had pieced it from leftover 3" tumbler blocks I cut with the GO! cutter.

Once it was layered with foil batting and backing fabric, I drew out the veins of the feather in chalk (not my usual choice of marking but I just needed a rough guide).

Using Aurifil thread top and bottom I started by free motion quilting the channel veins first, and then filling in the feathers.

This is the back.

The design was inspired by this Karen McTavish book.

I did the binding last night too. The mug rug is 9"x13". It will be a door prize for a quilt show I am participating in next month.

Thanks Bobbi and Heidi for hosting another fun evening.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Impera_Magna said...

Beautiful... the quilting is perfect for this mug rug / table topper! Congrats on such a great finish!

Joan said...

love the mug rug and of course your quilting

Myra said...

Oh gosh Joanne, your quilting is wonderful!! A nice little finish to show for your FNSI. 8-)

Deanna said...

Nice little project. The quilting is lovely.

Rhonda said...

What a great mug rug and the quilting is wonderful.
This is my first FNSI so I was very happy to get something put together... a really load off my mind.
Take care.

supermom said...

I like the back of your mug rug as much as the front. Great quilting!

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful....hmmm...those fabrics look familiar. I got my apple cores all put together yesterday and the top looks great. Now I have to do the quilting.

Barb said...

super cute mug rug and great quilting on it!

Karen said...

Love the mug rug! Congrats on a great FNSI!