Monday, June 27, 2011

Finished Hand Quilting

I finally finished hand quilting the Bear Paw Quilt!!!!


I spent yesterday at a mini retreat with Myra and Corina (among others), and even though we did lots of chatting, I managed to do a lot of quilting. What a great way to spend the day! Now I just have to finish the binding - should manage to get it all done before the end of the PhD Challenge on Thursday.

I tried quilt pounce for the borders of the BP quilt and it worked really well, much quicker than marking all the individual lines of the stencil, and the design did not wear off as easily as plain chalk. Joan recommended it to me. The one I tried was an "iron out" one, and I found it helped to spray it with a bit of water before ironing, otherwise it took so long to iron out.

Next are a few pictures of the flowers in my garden -

The last two flowers (peony and iris) are perennials that were here when we moved in 4 years ago and this is the first year that they have bloomed - lovely to finally see what colours they are.

We have also been bike riding again - summer time is the best!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

corina said...

Congratulations!! You must feel light as a feather and flying high! So glad you made it out on Sunday. It was a great day.

Linda said...

Congrats on getting your quilt all quilted!!! Gorgeous garden pics. Yes, summer is the best.

Needled Mom said...

I knew you could do it!!!! It looks fabulous.

Your flowers are all gorgeous. I just love seeing the peonies. I wish we could grow them here.

Myra said...

Good for you on finishing up with your hand-quilting Joanne!! You'll be done with your binding in no time!!!

Checked out Joan's blog... Wow! Is she ever creative with her quilting patterns!!!

Lovely garden goodies! 8-)

It was nice seeing you at our mini retreat again!!

Desley said...

Hand quilting gives such a lovely finish. It looks lovely.

I will only ever own a hand quilted quilt if I win one.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Glad you had a great time at CCC yesterday, I wished I could've been there. Congrats on finishing one of your PhDs, well almost since the binding will be done in no time :^)

Wendy said...

Yay on the quilt!!! And your flowers are gorgeous, especially your roses. Roses are an issue for me to grow. But my peonies are getting ready to open. I'll post a pic when they do.

Joan said...

Congrats on finishing your quilt - it looks beautiful! and what a lovely garden . Winter has set in here - a wild storm today and more to come on Thursday. cold (for us ) temps by the weekend - Our fire is continuous and friends and neighbours have been wonderful with helpfor us. Andrea also won a trailer load of wood. Your summer sounds so nice.

Stray Stitches said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! How many total hours of hand quilting did it take? Your garden is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

LiahonaGirl said...

What a great accomplishment! As much as I love machine-quilted quilts, there's nothing so wonderful as a hand-quilted quilt. It is destined to become an heirloom.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

It's just a wonderful quilt! You are so productive.

Billie in TX

Barb said...

congrats on finishing the quilt! isn't is rewarding?
Your garden photos are just too beautiful! that rose is perfect

Jen said...

Beautiful finish! I'm hand quilting for the first time. It's a mix of machine and hand, and I find it rather peaceful. That's a huge quilt though! Good for you!