Sunday, April 17, 2011

Free Motion Quilting Challenge Update

I thought I would just mention a few changes to this years Free Motion Quilting Challenge (I mentioned it last Monday) that Wendy (Inky Threads) and I are hosting.

You will now have between April 22nd to May 12th in which to free motion quilt for 14 consecutive days (that's the big challenge!)

Plus, Wendy has also started a new blog for all the participants to post on - The FMQ Challenge.
If you have expressed an interest in joining in on the challenge, you should get an invitation (I apologize if I missed someone, please let me know). The rules are mentioned on the new blog if you would like to join in on the fun.

Just because I have to have some pictures -

My free motion wreaths over a year ago, before last years FMQ Challenge.

My free motion wreaths now. Practice, practice, practice.
Now is the perfect time!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Mary Ann & Mother said...

This sounds wonderful! Harriet Hargrave sells a set of sixteen different types of 18x18" squares of battings which are meant to be free motion quilted on your machine for practice. You keep them, noting the date, tension setting, thread and needle type, etc. and then serge the edges, three hole punch and keep them in a three-ring binder for future reference. They can also be washed so you can see what will happen for shrinkage, then note the size prior and size after on your practice square. Her website is http://www.harriethargrave.com and this idea comes from her "Machine Heirloom Quilting" book. I would like to join you, as I have my practice battings waiting already!

Colleen said...

I would like to join.

Colleen

www.colleensquiltingjourney.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Practice is right! Your progress is amazing!!

Mary L. said...

Love the fabrics in that second picture (and of course the quilting). I thought I'd like to join in, but if I'm honest with myself. There is simply no way I'll be able to FMQ every day for 14 days. I'll just enjoy watching the rest of you and do my best.

Joan said...

What a difference in those wreaths. Looking forward to Friday...though the holidays here are full on!! It seems everyone wants to see us !! I will be FMQ into the night I think.

Scrappy quilter said...

practice always makes perfect. Great way to learn.

Posted a picture today of the Thread Head quilt. Hugs

Needled Mom said...

You are so right...practice, practice, practice.

Cathy said...

Don't forget me. I want to take up this challenge. Hugs.

Jen said...

I would like to join please. I want to do feathers like you!

Raewyn said...

I like the flexibility with the dates so family commitments over Easter 'won't get in the way!!' Thank you, I'm looking forward to taking part.

Renate said...

Thanks for the invitation! I'm ready to start too, but right after the Easter holiday coming up!

Linda said...

Hi Joanne, I would like to join in the challenge. Sign me up!! I need to practice making feathers and wreaths.

Home Designs by Amanda said...

I'm getting ready for the FMQ Challenge to begin, but I have a question...what constitutes FMQ? Does echoing count? How about wavy lines? or does it have to be the flowers and feathers? Just thought I'd ask to get prepared. Thanks for the help in my learning to quilt.

Sheila said...

I would really like to join but not sure that I have time each day ,especially this weekend but I want to try even if I don't join in with the group .

Sheila said...

I hope it is not too late to join, I have been tossing this around in my head since I first read it and I really want to improve on free motion so even if I can find a half hour a day I think I will improve so please count me in .