Thursday, May 31, 2012

May's Small Quilt

I finished this month's Small Quilt.


I tried using different fabrics for the pieces like the pattern-

from "Civil War Sewing Circle" by Kathleen Tracy

but I don't think I had enough strongly contrasting colours.

I thought mine looked chaotic. I didn't add borders because I thought that would "soothe" it, and I wanted to just keep the chaotic look.



I machine quilted continuous curves in the stars.


I like how the half square triangles that weren't quilted pop out.
I used silk batting and quilted it with Bottom Line thread - a 60Wt polyester thread. It is 12" square.


I pinned a ribbon on the back and hung it on an old rake with the EQ BOM quilt.

These small quilts are so much fun to make - thanks Kathy (A Sentimental Quilter).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

Lesley said...

Really pretty! I had no idea it was so small. Your colors work really well!

Sally said...

Great job Joanne! Love the quilting (I just 'quilted in the ditch', so much easier on this little bitty quilts!)
Sally

Doniene said...

It turned out real cute!!! I like Kathy's quilts, too! I've made a couple but not in the group! have a great day!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love how your little quilt turned out! Your quilting is wonderful. I enjoy making Kathy's little quilts too.... they are delightful to make!

:) Carolyn

Barb said...

Great quilt.
I love the fabric placement in the center - well done!

Needled Mom said...

Very nice, Joanne.

Linda said...

Gorgeous!! Not chaotic at all. Looks just like a little reproduction quilt should!! LOVE it. Perfect quilting too.

Deanna said...

Darling! And, only 12 inches. You have amazing piecing skills.

rutigt said...

I really like it!! A beautiful small quilt.
Gun, Sweden

Kathie said...

I like when quilts turn out like this....it draws you in to see the quilt
the fabric you used in the center block was great, it shows the viewer what the block is....
thanks for sharing
kathie