Thursday, May 17, 2012

Quilt for Olive


I finished machine quilting (on my DSM) the Rob Peter to Pay Paul quilt. This is a quilt that I cut with the GO! cutter. My Mother and I pieced it. The quilt is 82" x 69". It is off the my Mom's for binding.

A few years ago I inherited a stash of fabric, quilting supplies, books and magazines from a family friend, this quilt is for her. Lots of the fabric are from her stash. She is now is a care home, suffering with Alzheimer's.


The centres are quilted with a continuous swirl pattern, that traveled from one block to the next down a row on three sides and came back up the row to finish the fourth side.


The "melons" have an open heart feather design quilted in them. This was also a continuous design


I used two fabrics from the stash for the backing and joined them in a "zipper" pattern. The idea comes from Corina (CW QUILTs...sometimes), she shows her zipper backing here (hers is much nicer, next time I will have to use rectangles instead of squares - mine are 4" squares, 2"x4" would be better). It is a great way to join two different fabrics - thanks Corina!!


Here is the quilting from the back. I used wool batting, with 50wt cotton thread top and bottom.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

Linda said...

Awesome Joanne!!! The quilt is really beautiful. I love that you and your mom made a quilt from the stash of your friend and now you are giving it to her. What a very kind and thoughtful gesture. I am sure she will use it well. I love your quilt designs too!! The back is sooooo cool. I've never seen a zipper backing!! The quilting shows up great on the back! Wonderful job!!

Mrs A said...

The quilt is so beautiful Joanne, what a lovely design. I dont like binding, its one of those things that i put off!

Anne said...

Oh wow, the quilt is gorgeous, Joanne. I like the zip design on the back. What a clever idea! :o)

Wendy said...

Lovely!

Marga (MarPie) said...

It is beautiful and although the lady will not know that the fabric was hers, she will be very pleased with it. You really did a great yob.

Kind regards,
Marga♥

Impera_Magna said...

Beautiful quilt... and I love your quilting... congrats on a great (almost) finish!

Deanna said...

Another WOW quilt. The back is so much fun! I will probably try that technique some time. And the quilting is, as always, lovely.

Rhonda at Cobblestone Quilting said...

The quilt is really stunning. You did a wonderful job with the piecing, quilting, colors, everything. What a gift of love you have created! I hope it warms the recipient's body and soul.

Linda said...

It is wonderful! I love your FMQ.

Raewyn said...

Fabulous quilting Joanne; you have been busy. i love how you chose to quilt this and also the way you did the backing.

Lizziebeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
YankeeQuilter said...

Love the zipper backing! Beautiful quilt...

Ariane said...

Your quilt is beautiful!!! Love it!!

Leanne@onethouprojects said...

Beautiful quilt and such a caring gift for your friend.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful fabrics, quilting, and such a clever backing!

Barb said...

Your quilting is beautiful!
This is such a wonderful scrap quilt!

Rose Marie said...

The quilt is lovely and your friend will certainly enjoy it a lot. The zipper backing is a great idea!