Thursday, May 3, 2012

Double Wedding Ring Quilt and a Sneak Peak

Yesterday I started working on a Double Wedding Ring quilt. I cut the fabric out with the GO!. I don't have it all cut out, because I wanted to start sewing it (really to see if it would work - it my first quilt with the double wedding ring die).


This is what I have sewn so far.


Just the "football" shapes are sewn - 15 of them (I have to make 71 of them). My plan is to make the quilt 5 rings/blocks  x 6 rings/blocks -then it should be about 64" x 75".
So far these are pretty easy to sew, I hope the blocks and rows go together so well.
I find that when I piece things I cut with the rotary cutter, I use a scant 1/4" seam, but with the GO! I have to use a true 1/4" seam to get the shapes for fit together well.


This is a sneak peak of the Friendship Mini Sampler Quilt Along that starts tomorrow.
It will be a little quilt - 11.5"x15". I will post one block pattern a day for 6 days (a couple of days will have more than one block made). Then sewing the blocks together and adding the border. There will be an optional appliqué, and I will also have ideas for machine quilting. It should take about a week. The pieces are small,  scraps will work, maybe a fat quarter, or large scrap for the border and binding.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! Those look amazing! I love the batiks!!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

That double wedding ring is going to be amazing!

Raewyn said...

The double wedding ring looks awesome!!! Love your colours!! I'm looking forward to the Friendship Sampler :-)

Anne said...

I've asked for a double wedding ring template set for my birthday - the Go dies were a bit too expensive (they're the equivalent of $126 over here in Scotland) for me to be greedy enough to ask for those. I hope I get them and that they are as easy to come together - and beautiful - as yours are. :o)

Karen said...

My kind of colors in your Double Wedding Ring.

Kathy said...

Now you have me thinking...double wedding ring in batiks!! Looks fantastic, now I need that GO die :)

Barb said...

this looks great. The batik is a wonderful and different choice. can't wait to see more.

Needled Mom said...

That will be gorgeous! Glad to hear it is going together so well.

Karen said...

Don't think I've ever seen a DWR done in batiks. You chose a great palette, and with your awesome quilting this will be a stunner. I like the traditional patterns you choose.

Michelle said...

That quilt is definitely on my to-do-soon list. Just gotta take the die out of the package and actually use it!

Helen said...

Love the Wedding Ring Quilt!!!! And, yes, it's on my do VERY soon list!!! (Hopefully for son's wedding!)