Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Some Finishes

Today I managed to finish 3 things!

I finished hand stitching the binding down on the two pillows made from the leftover Granny's Hankie BOM. This is the first time I have made pillows with binding like a regular quilt and I really like the look (like a pipping or welt).

I also finished the quilting sampler I made as part of the FMQ Challenge (it is wet in the picture, laying flat to dry). I wanted to try using different coloured thread - it was really fun to make and I like the look. It is 12" x 21". I used two layers of wool batting - which I don't recommend because in spots the threads were loopy. It is all Aurifil thread using a #80 Microtex needle. I slowed down my machine for quilting too.

The bird design is a free design from Ivory Spring, but all the filling stitches are from this Diane Gaudynski book.

"Diane-shiko"
I marked a ½" grid for this. Not too even but better than my last attempt.

"Headbands"
I love doing this design, and I love the look of it.

"Bouncing Bananas" and a string of pearls
I should try BB more often (it is OK that it is evenly spaced!).

To make the string of pearls I started with a wave pattern for the bottom half, and then came back and completed the top half of the pearls.

Plus I added a top line and more echoing.

And lots more echoing.
Echoing is a great way to get practice at FMQ. You really have to pay attention to where you are going, not where you are. DG always says to look at the space you are creating not at the needle.

Pictured in the sun before washing to show off the quilting.
I hand stitched the binding to the back while I was talking on the phone to a friend - what a great way to get it done.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

Kat said...

That is just stunning! Way to go, I am in awe of your skill.

Mary L. said...

Love the pillows and the sampler is stunning. I have Diane's book and love doing "shiko" too, though I seldom use it.

jillyヅ said...

I truly can't find the words to tell you how impressed I am with your quilting. Been watching you for at least a year as you learned how to machine quilt. Soooo, when is your book coming out???♥

Anytime you and that machine want to make a trip to San Diego, just let me know.

blessings, jilly

Desley said...

Beautiful. I love all the background fills.

Joyce said...

You did a wonderful job! I have that book but haven't gotten nearly that good at it. Too much meandering I guess. You have inspired me to move on to something more complex.

Impera_Magna said...

Absolutely incredible quilting... wow!

Country Log Cabin Quilter said...

It's just wonderful! I have the Quilt Savvy book - I think I'll start studying it! Now that I feel a little more confident, I'll start trying some other designs.

Sheila said...

Wonderful quilting!

Cathy said...

Your pillows turned out so nice. I love, love, love your bird quilt. You are truly talented. I haven't had time to practice too much. But so enjoy what everyone else is doing. Hugs

Needled Mom said...

The pillows are wonderful, but the FMQ piece is just stunning!!! I love it and you did such a gorgeous job on it.

Scrappy quilter said...

That quilting is stunning!! Hugs

Stray Stitches said...

Your pillows are gorgeous!! I never thought to use those blocks as pillows.
Your quilting is totally amazing!

GailM. said...

So nice. I used that Diane G. book last year for the challenge....

I'm not doing so well on keeping up with the challenge... just bad timing and so much to do.. Quilt Show, Easter company, etc... No sense stressing about it... Next year maybe I'll be able to keep up. I really enjoying seeing all the progress everyone is making.....

Jen said...

Great post! I would love to just sit and watch over your shoulder one afternoon! You are such an inspiration!

Wendy said...

All beautiful! Love, love, love the pillows!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your pillows are darling. And your quilting on the sampler is awesome! Love it.

Joan said...

Your quilting is stunning Joanne - I love how you have use DG's book. Your BB's are really great. Wish I could do those - Its all come together wonderfully! I am so implress with you Grannies hankie blocks!! You really are doing fantastically...

Mrs A said...

Fantastic quilting again, i am inspired by your work as always! love the cushions too!

Myra said...

Oh my gosh Joanne! Your quilting is simply awesome!!! You should do classes with this talent girl!!! 8-)