Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mom's Quilt

I started quilting my mother's quilt.

I knew I wanted to quilt a swirl design in the "stars" and the talented Desley (of Addicted to Quilts) suggested I quilt a flower in the center of the star. I had originally thought that the area was too small, but when I looked at it again there was lots of room for a flower. Thanks so much Desley!! I love how the quilting is turning out. I am planning on doing a swirl in the small border and a feather design in the outer border. If you know my mom please don't tell her - I want it to be a surprise!

I find than it is even easier to quilt a large quilt than a small one because all the fabric tends to hold the quilt on the table. The apple core quilt I just finished kept falling off the table as I was quilting. I like to bunch the quilt around the sewing machine and kind of tuck it under, so that it holds itself up, but leaves the area that I am working on with room to move.

I didn't want to quilt too heavily on this quilt because it is going to be a bed quilt. I am using wool batting and I don't want to flatten it too much. Sleeping under a wool quilt is the best thing - it keeps you at just the right temperature without being heavy like cotton. I hear that silk batting is even better and I will try that on my next quilt. It is even supposed to be easier to machine quilt than wool - can't imagine.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

Metanoia said...

gorgeous quilting. It is really lifting and adding to the design.

Mary L. said...

Beautiful. I use the same method for quilting large quilts..which I really need to get working on soon!! My stack is much too high.

Deanna said...

It really looks good.

Raewyn said...

Looks like you are getting some great quilting practise in - the little flowers are cute - with lots of petals like that they look very classy. The swirls and featheres sound good too; I look forward to seeing the results.

Sue Daurio said...

gorgeous!! love the flowers.

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful as always. Your mom is going to love it. Hugs

Wendy said...

I like that pattern!

so-crazy said...

It's really nice is wool batting really much better to use I would think it would slip and slide more.

Desley said...

It looks great! I am sure you mum will love it.

Joan said...

Tha looks beautiful Jaoone - Your Mum is a lucky lady :) The quilting just gets better!

Julia said...

It looks fabulous...lovely quilt for your Mum..gorgeous quilting..
Julia ♥