Sunday, October 17, 2010

Quilt Along Options

If you chose to make all the blocks or just try a few blocks in the quilt along, I wanted to give you some options. I had fun playing with EQ7 (measurements and block sizes come from EQ7 as well).

This is a table runner using two blocks. It is 19" x 31" with 3" borders. The edge triangles are a ¼ of a (small) 14" square (cut diagonally), and the corners are a ½ of a 7+3/16" square (cut diagonally). These measurements apply to any 9" blocks set on point. Adding another square will increase the table runner's length by about 14".

This table runner is 15" x 42" with a 3" border.

Table topper using 4 blocks and 5 alternating blocks (I will post this pattern this week). It is 33" square with 3" borders.

Or 5 different blocks and 4 alternating blocks.

Or 9 different blocks.



This wall hanging is 46" square with 4" borders, set on point with alternating plain 9" squares. The edge and corner triangles are cut the same way as the first table runner. (Lots of room to practice free motion quilting!)

A 64" square lap quilt version with no borders, using 24 scrappy blocks and 25 alternating blocks.

This could be a single bed sized quilt - 77" x 89". 30 blocks set on point with alternating plain 9" squares and 6½" borders.

Or different colours for the plain squares.


Another large quilt version - 97" square. Blocks set on point with 3"sashing and 6" borders. Uses 41 blocks.

I am amazed at the response to the quilt along! I just thought I would make a large quilt, slowly over the fall/winter with fabric I had been collecting. I had hoped that by posting instructions on my blog that it would keep me motivated. I didn't realize that it would be so much fun to see other people's versions! Thanks so much to every one participating, and for all the kind comments and encouragements!!

Here is the Flickr group, please consider joining in too!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

26 comments:

Kristie said...

Oh so many options....they are all beautiful! I'm really going to try to get the second set of blocks done today so that I don't get too far behind.
Kristie

Renate said...

Thank you very much for all the great ideas!
Renate

Karen said...

Oh my! This is getting more exciting with each day! Thank you for showing so many options. Have lots to think about now. I'm working away on block 2 now.

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh the excitement of this one! I need to post this and bring attention your way!!!

Irina said...

Hello!
Just discovered your blog and became your follower number 80...
I love all these options. I already joined a quilt along, so I won't venture with another one. However, I will be making some of the blocks, they're beautiful!

Lori said...

Now that's what I call options! All great!!

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

I think that I would love to join in...how far along are you?

Quilt hollow sent me :)

Deb said...

I love this. I'm going to have to dig out my fabrics and start along with you.

onlymehere said...

Mary at Quilt Hollow sent me over. I adore what you've done here! I'm thinking I want to make that table runner and add a square. I admire your talent at creating a quilt top that's so pretty.
Cindy

Needled Mom said...

Wow...those are all amazing! Mary sent me over to check it out.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow this looks great! Mary from Quilt Hollow sent me over to take a look. Love the colors your chose.

Cheryl said...

Great project. I did a miniature block sew along and had a wonderful response. Everyone had so much fun. I found after posting patterns for two blocks, that it worked better to create a new blog just for the instructions and then linked it to my main blog. People joining late then did not have to dig back for the instructions. Enjoy. I would join you but committed to make a BOM quilt for the shop I work at and it is very similiar.

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Mary at Quilt Hollow sent me over to see what's happening here. I love every option here! But I especially love the borderless lap quilt. Too pretty!

Vivian said...

I'm another of the gals who is visiting because Mary at Quilt Hollow sent us your way. What fun! I'm hoping I can get my act together (and my fabrics a bit organized) and follow along. Such great options. Thanks for sharing all this info.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I just blogged about this it's so exciting! Thanks for offering this project to all of us out there in blogland...

Karen said...

I'm a new follower via Quilt Hollow... #100! A bit busy with other things at the moment but will check back for additional info about your quilt-along. Thanks for all these options!

Barb said...

sounds fun but traveling right now.

ferne said...

Just found your blog from 'Quilter Going Bananas' and I have to say that this project looks too fun to pass up. I am quite busy at the moment, but will have to make time to play with a few blocks here! I am now follower #102! Now I must check out more of your blog!

Jo said...

Mary sent me too! I am loving this and am hoping to hop on board this weekend when life settles just a bit. I just got a couple fliers from local quilt shops for BOM projects. I am going with your project...not only is it cheap and free but it's the best looking one too!

JayTee said...

love all the blocks you have chosen.
I came over from Quilt Hollow

kitty said...

It was so nice to find another manitobian blog. You have a lovely site and I will be back to have a look whenever I am in the area!
Kathee

Sharrieboberry said...

Thank you for sharing all the different layouts! I love seeing the actual picture that is really helpful.

I'm working on the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt and these would work really well with those blocks as well.

Thanks aain!

Deb said...

Me too, me too. Also working on the FWS quilt and will have extra fabric that needs to be used. Beautiful site.

Julia said...

I've just found this quilt along...where have I been!
I love it , I love the setting with the Alabama block..thank you. I hope I'm not too late to start work on it.
Julia ♥

Soph said...

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!
I will be starting the quilt blocks next week!
You are sooo generous and kind!
Regards
Sophie

Caroline Heinrichs said...

I remember this quilt along! I was working full time at the time and didn't have any time to participate. Wow, these are lovely examples of your original pattern.

Lovely stuff!