Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Block #1

This is the first block for the quilt along.


It is a "Churn Dash" variation with a nine patch center. These are minimal directions because I assume a basic knowledge of piecing. If you need extra help please email me.


You will need -

2 - 3 7/8" squares background fabric, for the half-square-triangles (HST)
2 - 3 7/8" squares main fabric, for the half-square-triangles (HST)
4 - 2" x 3½" rectangles background fabric
4 - 2" x 3½" rectangles main fabric
4 - 1½" squares contrasting fabric for the center nine patch
5 - 1½" squares second contrasting fabric for the center nine patch


Make the HST by placing one large square main fabric and one large square background fabric right sides together. With a pencil draw a diagonal line. Sew ¼" on either side of the line.


Cut on the pencil line and iron towards the dark - HST complete. Join a main and a background rectangle together (4 times), and make a nine patch with the 9 little squares. Join all the pieces of the block together.

I made two blocks at one time as I find that it is easier to piece more than one block at a time.


I think I will make two of every block for the quilt.

2 blocks finished, 38 to go!

If you decide to join in you can post pictures - Thread Head Quilt Along Flickr Group.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!!

9 comments:

Joan said...

Cut out and ready to go :)

Janette said...

I have joined the flicker group and will make a start on this block tomorrow.

Wendy said...

I want to join this, but I'm not sure I have time. Let me think a bit on it.

Renate said...

I would like to join. It is a good idea, to use up some fabrics!

Colleen said...

I want to join your quilt along, never done this before. How often do you post a block? Need more information, finished size etc. Love your fabric choices and colors!

sao said...

I love it - I am in!! THANK YOU!

sao in Midlothian, VA
drsaowens@gmail.com
www.shirleyannesheart.com

Lisa said...

Love Love Love this quilt along! Count me in!

Lisa

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm going to start this today. It's going to take me awhile to catch up, however I hope I can get these blocks finished within a week or two.

Scrappy quilter said...

Finished this block...made two of them. On to block #2. I'll post my pictures on my blog next week.