Friday, January 29, 2010

Show and Tell Friday

This week's Show and Tell is the only quilt that I have from my Father's side of my family. It came to me from my Grandmother about 20 years ago. The only thing that I knew about it was that my Grandmother didn't make it.


I recently asked my Aunt if she knew anything about the quilt. She was a wealth of information! (Thank-you Aunt Carolyn!)
It turns out the quilt was made by my Great Grandmother, Amelia Mitchell Stephens (nee Etter), 1865-1962. She was an award winning quilt maker in Tenecape, Nova Scotia. I didn't even know that she was a quilter!


1936

I think that the quilt was made in the 1940's. It is in very good condition. I don't think it has ever been used. It is hand pieced and hand quilted.





Today was a very cold day, -34C with the wind chill. It was wonderful to see a white jack rabbit along with a rabbit eating under the bird feeder.

Have a wonderful day!

6 comments:

rochambeau said...

What a fabulous quilt! Thank you for sharing it here!
Constance

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. Your name is in the hat.
P.S. Love that picture of your grandma.

Sherri said...

What a gorgeous treasure in the red and white quilt...so fun to see the pictures of it's maker too!

knittnkitten said...

Wow, that's beautiful.
Thanks for swing in by!
Greetings from So Cal.
Best wishes and good luck, Knittnkitten.

jillybee123 said...

Good day to you Joanne.

What a beautiful quilt, and amazing the red is still so bright. Glad you were able to get the information you did.

Blessings,
Jilly

elsy said...

wow.this is wonderful.....