Friday, January 29, 2010

Show and Tell Friday

This week's Show and Tell is the only quilt that I have from my Father's side of my family. It came to me from my Grandmother about 20 years ago. The only thing that I knew about it was that my Grandmother didn't make it.


I recently asked my Aunt if she knew anything about the quilt. She was a wealth of information! (Thank-you Aunt Carolyn!)
It turns out the quilt was made by my Great Grandmother, Amelia Mitchell Stephens (nee Etter), 1865-1962. She was an award winning quilt maker in Tenecape, Nova Scotia. I didn't even know that she was a quilter!


1936

I think that the quilt was made in the 1940's. It is in very good condition. I don't think it has ever been used. It is hand pieced and hand quilted.





Today was a very cold day, -34C with the wind chill. It was wonderful to see a white jack rabbit along with a rabbit eating under the bird feeder.

Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...