Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Finished Flowering Snowball Quilt

I finished the Flowering Snowball quilt.

It is 72"x84", 12" blocks set 6x7. This is a quilt that I cut out with a GO! die, about 5 years ago. 
I think I kept putting off finishing it because I didn't know how to quilt it. It turned out much better than I hoped. I was thinking of selling the die, but now I see more potential.

I quilted open heart feathers in the cream sections and citrus peel, and an echo in the print sections.
The batting is Hobbs Tuscany Cotton/Wool blend (80/20). It was lovely to quilt, light weight and not at all stiff.

It was free motion quilted on my domestic sewing machine using Essential Pro from Connecting Threads, a 70 weight polyester thread, for the top and bottom. I haven't used this thread much, but my machine seems to love this it.

I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 870 Quilt sewing machine that is about 10 years old. It has always had an issue with the bobbin case, mainly when free motion quilting. The original machine I bought was replaced within the first week because it was even worse.

I think it has something to do with the top thread passing around the top of the bobbin case, sometimes it seems to move the bobbin case out of alignment. It seems to be fussy about what thread I use too.

I end up having to take the bobbin case out and putting it all back together. No big deal, but the last quilt I free motion quilted (my Mom's quilt), I took apart the bobbin case about 25 times. Normally I take it apart a few times when quilting a project. This time I didn't have to take it apart once! It was a joy to quilt.

This knitting isn't mine, but I did the cast-on, and the kitchener graft to finish it.

It is the Obsessio Cowl by Laura Nelkin, knit by my Mom. 

I cast-on another one (a provisional cast-on, on a spare interchangeable cable) for my Mom to knit. This cowl will be for me. I have a white one I made years ago, and before we had a puppy I wore it all the time (now my clothes have to be sturdy, and puppy proof). I bought the two skeins of yarn - a silk and mohair blend, in Japan, to make a lacy brioche cowl, but when my Mom accidentally shrunk her original cowl, this made more sense. It is such a light weight, warm cowl.

Photos from around -

Woodpecker on the peanut feeder.
Molly running like the wind on her track.
Bonding? Well at least Maggie isn't running away.

All the best!♥︎


Cheryll said...

Love the fact that you have a bird feeder out. And a cute one at that.
You pups seems to enjoy her RuN... xox

junepaulette said...

Thst truly is Beautiful. And Molly seems to be growing up too.

QuiltGram said...

Congratulations with this finish. Tackling a place that hinders us from completing a quilt sure feels good, actually great! Sometimes I go to Pinterest to see how other quilters have machine quilted their quilts for ideas for the particular quilt design I had made.

Karen said...

Your feather quilting is so pretty.

Sue SA said...

Well done for persisting with the bobbin, if I had to do that once that would have seen me back down the shop buying a new machine because I doubt I could put it back together!!

Fiona said...

Beautiful quilt...

PaintedThread said...

The quilt looks terrific. No fun wrestling with the bobbin when all you want to do is quilt! Such delicate knitting. Love those Molly photos. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...