My new computer has been in the shop for a week (hopefully all the problems are fixed!), so this is a long post - amazing what can get done when I don't spend time on the computer!!
I finished off the Dresden Plate quilt last Sunday (it is in my guest bedroom).
The quilt is 95" square. The fabric is Boutique by Chez Moi (for Moda) with Kona ivory solid for the background. I used Hobbs Tuscany Wool batting. The thread is Aurifil 50WT (in pink and ivory).
I had left lots of room for quilting. It is the first time I have quilted so much on a quilt, and with a plain background. The DP's are about 11" and the blocks are 14".
I free motioned feathered wreathes between the Dresden Plates. They are echoed and the centres have pebbling (like the dots in the fabric centres of the DP's). The Dresden Plates are quilted in the ditch around them and the centres. I also quilted a loose flower/feathered wreath over the DP's. There is my form of McTavishing (great link with video) in the background.
I did a serpentine feather border around all the DP's and then perpendicular parallel lines to the border.
The outer most line I quilted after I had attached the binding (thanks for the tip Wendy), so that the quilting would look even.
The only marking I did on this quilt was the lines for the feathered wreathes (using various size lids and a Hera marker - just leaves an indentation in the fabric), plus I also marked the centre of the serpentine feather border
It is all quilted on my home sewing machine (Husqvarna 870 Quilt). I like to bunch the quilt when I quilt. It was a real pleasure to quilt.
I usually vacuum out my machine after I finish a big project - for this one I did it twice. It always amazes me how much lint accumulates.
I worked on some blocks of the month too -
The November Hop to It one (machine appliqué).
For December Hop to It BOM Joan picked block #2.
The December EQ BOM.
Now that all the blocks are finished I am working on the final project (we are not given instructions for that and have to create something on our own).
These are the borders for the Granny's Hankie BOM (Novembers instructions). They went together so well, the instructions are wonderful.
I did change the pattern slightly -
The pattern called for 4 1/2" squares (mine are black) for the corner blocks, but I didn't like the results, plus it was different from the picture.
So I changed them to 5 1/2" squares, now it looks like it is supposed to.
I finished knitting a hat,
and started on a piece of Romanian Point Lace (the pattern is one I designed).
Finally!! this last picture shows all three quilts that are on the guest bed now! My first large quilt that I quilted on my sewing machine (Spanish Steps), the first large quilt I hand quilted (Orphan Block), and my last quilt that I machine quilted.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!♥