Monday, December 19, 2011

Tumbler Quilt

I finished a Tumbler quilt.


This is my first "leader & ender" quilt (thanks to Bonnie Hunter!). It was a quilt that got pieced without much thought - great way to make a quilt. It is 50" x 60".
I cut all the tumblers last March with the 3+1/2" GO! die and leftover fabric from the Thread Head Quilt Along quilt. I pieced 23 tumblers in a row, and this weekend I was surprised that I had sewn all the tumblers - 20 rows.


I pressed the seams in opposite directions (I have made a mug rug with tumblers and pressed the seams in one direction - ended up with intersections that were too bulky).


After I sewed the rows together I opened up the intersections and press the seams in opposite directions also,


resulting in nice flat seams.


I decided to use a meander quilt design (quilted on my domestic sewing machine).  When I quilt this design I imagine sewing around pennies.

Free Motion Quilting on your DSM Tip -
If you are frustrated with attempting free motion quilting, and are using the plexiglass surround for your sewing machine, consider changing it to a larger surround (here is mine). Last week I quilted a wall hanging and thought it would be fine to just use the normal plexiglass surround. How frustrating!! The small quilt kept getting caught on the edges of the plexiglass. I realized that if I only had the plexiglass surround I would have given up on free motion quilting long ago.


I used a leftover piece of cotton batting, and had just enough of this beautiful fabric from my inherited stash for the backing. The quilt is all washed and crinkled now!
Time to cut up some more stash fabric for another leader & ender project.


Thirteen partridges under a maple tree - not a Christmas song but lots of fun to watch.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

LiahonaGirl said...

Love the colors of your tumbler quilt. Don't you just love creating a quilt using leaders and enders?

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

I must echo the previous comment—I love the colors you chose. They remind me of autumn but the quilt would certainly look inviting any time of year!

Joan said...

Thats a lovely quilt Joanne - I think I need to get a leaders and enders quiltbook!

Pat said...

Very nice quilt! Those tumblers work out so well, and are so easy to sew. I should get my Go! out after the holidays and start cutting -- it's almost magic the way you can crank those baby tumblers out.

Tammy said...

I think 13 partridges under a maple tree so close to Christmas must be a good omen or something. Your tumbler quilt is beautiful and I love your extension table for larger quilts...so much better than the plexiglass table. My plexiglass table moves around when quilting large quilts and that is a pain you know where! I've got my Bernina 930 in a custom cabinet so it's like quilting with a flatbed machine and that is so much more comfortable. Have a super duper day Joanne.

Cathy said...

I love your tumbler quilt. I hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season. Hugs

Needled Mom said...

Your Tumbler quilt is just gorgeous! The colors are just wonderful.

Frances Leate said...

Just love your tumbler quilt Joanne and what a great way to make those leaders and enders really work for you. Take care.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Your tumbler quilt is wonderful Joane....love the colors and prints that you used!

Carolyn :)

Jan said...

What a great quilt!!

Donna said...

Your tumbler quilt is beautiful!

Jacque Wright said...

Wonderful quilt! I love leaders-and-enders quilts - I've made four while making other projects. Makes me feel very efficient!

Karen said...

The warm colours in your quilt give it an inviting, old-fashioned look. I love it. Sounds like you made very good use of your leftovers, and your time. I agree with your note on the plexiglass table size - it makes a world of difference.

Linda C Brown said...

Love it colors are just wonderful.

Lesley said...

I love your tumbler quilt! I just received a Go Baby fabric cutter and decided to make a tumbler quilt, googled how to make one, and your blog popped up! Then I started reading your blog, adore the Thread Head quilt along and will add this to my "to do" list. Then I became a follower! You have a great blog! Merry Christmas!

Rhonda said...

That Tumbler is fantastic and the colors are right up my alley. Love your blog... I've become a "FOLLOWER"

AnnieO said...

Beautiful! I love Bonnie's leader-ender idea and have made two quilts this way so far. Time to get another one cut. Love your partridge shot too, their little plump shapes are so sweet.

Helen in the UK said...

Found your blog after Googling tumbler quilts. This is a beautiful example and thanks for the tips on seam pressing :)