Friday, December 16, 2011

Pattern and Copyright

I finished knitting another hat.



I used 2 strands of wool for this hat (and for the first time ever made up my own knitting pattern -  to get the right size for my large head!)
If you would like the pattern I have posted it on Ravelry and (fingers crossed!) here is a link to a PDF for the pattern -

I really made the hat to go with this beautiful button I bought at the Victoria Beach Quilt Show last summer. It is made by a local, talented artist - Pat (blog - fishwifetales) in polymer clay.



Even the back of the button is beautiful.

The following is a short rant (I could, and have had lots to say on the subject)!
I planned that this would be my first pattern on Ravelry, but someone took that privilege from me and put one of my other patterns on Ravelry, and even lifted a picture from my blog without my permission (something not usually approved on Ravelry). I had to write in and have my pattern linked to me on Ravelry. I don't have a problem with my patterns or pictures being used elsewhere, they are, but people have always asked permission. We all work hard and take great pride in what we create - common courtesy goes a long way!
Whew! That feels good to get it off my chest! Thanks for listening!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

8 comments:

GailM. said...

Totally agree about copying ec.... It's a sweet pattern and I'm so glad you shared it with us. It must be a quick knit... Totally love that button. I'm going to see the website...

Donna said...

I love the hat!

Mrs A said...

love the hat and pretty button, there are some people that have no ethics, they should have their blogs cancelled for copying other peoples work without credit to the author, that's my rant!

Betty Lou said...

Darling hat----good for you for speaking up.

Joan said...

Love your hat - and wlel done for you 'rant' - not that I thought it was that - it was very well said! Good for you!!

Needled Mom said...

How frustrating! I am glad that you got it corrected.

I love your hat AND those darling buttons. That is the perfect use for them.

Impera_Magna said...

What a darling hat... and the button is fab!

I'm glad you got stuff straightened out on Ravelry... too bad stuff like that happens. Some folks just don't get it...

Julia said...

Love the hat...cute button.
I had a CQ pattern taken and she even had the cheek to teach it in a class and then on her blog..
Good on you for speaking up..