I set aside last weekend to finish up the Granny's Hankie quilt top, the last instructions for the BOM were supposed to come out on Saturday and I am waiting to use the leftover fabric for some Christmas presents. Saturday morning I was disappointed to learn that the instructions are being postponed.
So I got out my GO! and the 8.5" square rag die,
and the flannel that I received from Marcus fabrics (fabric I was given because of some fat quarters that I purchased were too small),
and in no time at all I had cut all the fabric up.
I used a rotary cutter to cut the wool batting into 6.5" squares.
I had about 9 yards (I am guessing - I should have measured it before cutting) of 11 different fabrics from the Woodwinds line of fabric and the wool batting was leftover pieces.
I sewed two squares with the batting together by stitching an "X" through all the layers. I used a wavy embroidery stitch on my sewing machine to do this. All the stitching was done with a walking foot.
When I stitched the rows together I opened up the seams and moved the fringe out of the way the best that I could. I thought that sewing the blocks would be difficult with the pre-cut fringe but it all went together very well, just a few times the fringe was caught in the seam allowance.
This is when I had finished sewing the blocks together before washing.
After washing and drying the fringe has "bloomed". I had to empty the lint filter on the dryer quite often (I am surprised that there is a quilt left). It is 63" x 43".
This sure was a fast quilt to make and so easy (not one pin was needed!). I would definitely make a smaller version when I need to make a baby quilt. I have never made a rag quilt before, but I hear that cutting the fringe is the hardest part - the GO! sure made it all a snap!
It was very messy to sew - very linty (hard on the allergies), so I had a good reason to give my sewing room a good cleaning today.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!♥