Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rust Dyeing

Yesterday I tried rust dyeing for the first time.

I soaked a fat quarter size piece of fabric in a solution of half water/half vinegar, just to dampen it, and then loosely wrapped it around some old, clean, rusty items. The whole thing was placed in a bag, just so it would remain moist, but the bag was open a bit, because it needed oxygen to work. I turned the bag over a few times during the day.

This morning it looked like this (about 18hours) - the fabric was a piece that already had some holes, and I was worried that the rust would cause more holes. It turned out fine and I could have left it longer.

The results look like an old rag used to wipe the garage floor, but it has some really interesting spots -

each side of the fabric is different -

same with this area -

Next time I would tightly wrap the fabric around the rusty item.
It is nice to try something new and this one was pretty easy. It will be good for an art quilt.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...