Saturday, February 23, 2013

February Art Quilt of the Month


This is my February Art Quilt of the Month. It is 6" x 8". I chose hearts because my husband and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary this month.


I had fun trying different embroidery techniques for the hearts. The top heart is surrounded by french knots and seed beads, the white heart is pulled thread on linen.


I used a wooden heart as a template to draw around.


The outline for the heart is traditional Schwalm Embroidery stitches - a coral stitch, with a chain stitch on both sides. I used Watercolors by Caron for the stitching, instead of the traditional white matte cotton thread (Schwalm is also traditionally stitched on much finer linen).


I used the same wooden heart for the outline of the other heart. The fabric is my snow dyed fabric - I love the colours of this piece.

I used 100Wt Invisafil thread for the free motion quilting.


Here are my art quilts of the month so far (my plan is to bind them together in to a book at the end of the year).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

Marga (MarPie) said...

Congratulations on your wedding day, that there may follow many years in good health. Love the art quilt with the hearts.

Warm regards,
Marga♥

Raewyn said...

Great to see close-ups of your beautiful pieces, Joanne. Love them!!!

Joan said...

Your talent never ceases to amaze! I love this piece!

Crafting Queen said...

Congratulations. Such a beautiful piece.

Ruth said...

Congratulations on your 24th anniversary! I love the art quilt for this month. I especially like the way the french knots look around the top heart. Very pretty.

Cathy said...

Your Art quilts are beautiful. Happy Anniversary. My hubby and I just celebrated our 24th anniversary this month too. Hugs

gwendiequilts said...

I love hearts and can't think of anything better for February. Your little quilt is wonderful!

Terri said...

Love your little bird, and the seed bead heart, Wow! That is amazing.
Hugs

ANudge said...

That is so beautiful. I love both of them. What a treasure you're going to have at the end of the year!

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful....I love all of the french knots making the one heart.