Saturday, February 23, 2013

February Art Quilt of the Month


This is my February Art Quilt of the Month. It is 6" x 8". I chose hearts because my husband and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary this month.


I had fun trying different embroidery techniques for the hearts. The top heart is surrounded by french knots and seed beads, the white heart is pulled thread on linen.


I used a wooden heart as a template to draw around.


The outline for the heart is traditional Schwalm Embroidery stitches - a coral stitch, with a chain stitch on both sides. I used Watercolors by Caron for the stitching, instead of the traditional white matte cotton thread (Schwalm is also traditionally stitched on much finer linen).


I used the same wooden heart for the outline of the other heart. The fabric is my snow dyed fabric - I love the colours of this piece.

I used 100Wt Invisafil thread for the free motion quilting.


Here are my art quilts of the month so far (my plan is to bind them together in to a book at the end of the year).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...