Friday, November 5, 2010

New Books

I finished the Christmas Arrowhead quilt.


It is 45" x 64". I used Warm and White cotton batting, with red flannel backing. I used 12 fat quarters (and an extra 0.5meters for the binding) of Figgy Pudding by Basicgrey. It was quilted on my home sewing machine using a #80 Microtex needle (the free motion quilting foot on my machine doesn't like a finer needle - the screw goes in too much and this is what caused the last FMQ foot to break), with light khaki Invisafil in the top and red Aurifil in the bobbin.


I decided to quilt a simple, all over design, because I didn't want the quilting to be the focus, I thought that the placement of the blocks and the pattern they created should be the focus. That is why I chose the Invisafil thread (it is a very fine #100 thread - hard to see in the picture).

The back - holly leaves and swirls.

The blocks of this quilt were designed by Anita Grossman Solomon, and I thought that the blocks were so ingenious that I decided to order the book they come from.

"Rotary Cutting Revolution" is a wonderful idea book - there are no quilt patterns - it is a book with 8 incredibly described quilt blocks! They are all wonderful and so well explained. You can preview the book here, click on the "google preview" symbol.

This "No Waste Windmill" block is one I want to try next, or maybe this "Old Italian" block....



I also ordered (to get the free shipping!!) this "my bread" book by Jim Lahey (not from "Trailer Park Boys"!). It was recommended by my parents and sister, and the book sure doesn't disappoint!

This is a "no-knead" technique to making bread that is so simple! It only takes less than 10 minutes of actual working time to make the bread - the secret is letting the ingredients (flour, salt, small amount of yeast and water) to sit for 12-18 hours, and then cooking the bread in a covered enameled cast-iron pot. I have made a few loaves so far and they have been delicious.

The taste and texture are amazing - like the best artisan/European bread. And so easy!!

Update - Here is a link for a version of the bread.
Update#2 - Here is an even better link with lots of cute pictures!!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!! ♥

11 comments:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Joanne, your quilt is beautiful! I love it!! My sister in law bought Anita's book too. Such pretty and clever blocks.

Kristie said...

mmmmm...that bread looks so good!

Love how your quilt turned out! Very nice quilting too!
Kristie

Deanna said...

I had heard of the bread book and wondered about it. Mmmm....tempting! Thanks for sharing your review (and picture).

Gloria said...

Lovely quilt, Joanne! Perfect choice for the quilting!

That "No Waste Windmill block resembles one from the "Square Dance" book, which I gotta make soon! Love it!

Is your bread baked on the stovetop or in the oven? Looks delicious!

Dee said...

Wow! You seem to have made that quilt very quickly and to have it quilted as well... I'm impressed. My tops usually sit around for a couple of years before I get to quilting them. Very pretty!

Cheryl said...

JoAnne, your quilt came out great and I love the fade effect it has-one value into the next. I just made a variation of the windmill quilt but it had a lot of waste. And the bread looks delicious!

Libby said...

WOW!!! What a fast and beautiful quilt!! It turned out very very pretty!
And that bread!! YUMMY! I bet it smells heavenly!!

Deb said...

I can smell the bread from here. Ymmm.

I love how your quilt came out! Perfect.

Pat said...

I have been making bread from a book called Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day; your book looks like it builds its recipies on the same concept. It is absolutely awesome to be able to pop a ball of dough into the oven when you come home from work & have wonderful bread for dinner. I'm going to go check out Lahey's book!!

Rose Marie said...

Great quilt, great pattern and wonderful fabric choice!

I have one of those cast iron pots and that bread looks so tempting.

Wendy said...

I love the arrowhead quilt. I've decided I'm definitely making one. Very cute applique, too!

*hugz*