Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mini Quilt

This weekend I made a mini quilt.

I had a fat quarter of the blue border fabric and I knew I wanted to use it for a little quilt. I also wanted to do some applique - so I sketched out a design (inspired by many sources), and I also wanted to use some of the Quilt Whispering ideas I have been learning in the online course I took.
It is about 14" x 18", with cotton batting. All the machine applique (freezer paper technique) and machine quilting was done with Invisafil thread in the top and Aurifil thread in the bobbin, with a #70 Microtex needle.

I used 4" squares of fabric folded in half diagonally, and sewn in when I attached the binding as the way to hang this quilt (yes, that is an old paint stick as a hanger!). I have never tried this before, but it seems to work!

I hung it in my laundry room. I think this room is becoming my mini quilt room!! (The clothes pin bag is on my tutorial page.)

We have been having great fall weather here! I hope it is wonderful where you are!!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

19 comments:

Linda said...

I love your mini quilt. The border fabric is just perfect. Great job!

Cheryl said...

What a great little quilt--my favorite size of quilt! Very original!

Kristie said...

Oh, I like it and love the quilting that you did on it!
Kristie

Colleen said...

I love your mini quilt, your color choices always speak to me!!!
Colleen

jilly said...

You amaze me with how quickly you can whip up something. Love it.

Your photo blew me away. What beautiful colors in the sky.

blessings,
jilly

Kathie said...

omg I just love this, the pomegranate is one of my favorite blocks and then the bird
lately I have been wanting to add birds to all my quilts, why, I have no clue!!!!
would you consider a tutorial for this little quilt? a pattern.
I would love to make one too and hang it in my laundry room too!
actually probably in my sewing room I just love it!
great border fabric
Kathie

Quilt Hollow said...

Adorable!!! Just love mini quilts to bits!!

Libby said...

So Sweet!! Love those little Quilts! and the quilting is outstanding!!! It looks perfect hanging in the laundry room! I wouldnt mind doing laundry if my room looked like that!

Karen said...

Beautiful little quilt and your quilting is just amazing! I sure don't know you do it; you get so much done in such a short amount of time. It's so inspiring!

A Plain Path said...

Your quilting is stunning. Love this mini-quilt!

Karen said...

What a sweet quilt, Joanne; your quilting is stunning - as always!

kwiltnkats said...

Very nice work and so clever to think of the paint stir as it's hanger. Beautiful quilting.

Stray Stitches said...

What a darling little quilt! Your quilting is amazing!!

Deanna said...

What a productive weekend project. I really like it. Now, I feel inspired to go finish SOMETHING myself.

Annie said...

The quilting is beautifully done! Maybe make the next one reversible so that you can show off both sides - just flip it around when you want to change the look! Hmmm . . . or maybe a mini-wholecloth in the future?

Jen said...

Wow, look at that quilting! I love it, what an inspiration, thank you!

sao said...

Your mini-quilt is fantastic - but MOST OF ALL, I love your laundry quilting room!

sao in Midlothian, VA

Gloria said...

You did it again, Joanne! Great little quilt and nice quilting! I'll have to try that hanging method, looks way easier than sewing a sleeve!

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What a wonderful little quilt. I love your design and your quilting is beautiful. I enjoyed seeing the pic of your laundry room. It's neat how you've decorated the walls with fitting accessories and the cozy comfort of quilts.