Friday, November 12, 2010

Another Mini Quilt and a Memory

In the Quilt Whisperer course that I took, Carla said that PPP (practice, practice, practice) was the most important thing in getting better at machine quilting, so that is what I have been trying to do. Mini quilts are a great, fast way to try new things.

I made this little 16" square mini quilt using leftover layer cake/charm square fabric, plus some leftover yardage. The fabric is "Alliance" by Howard Marcus. The center is made up of 1" squares and the borders are 5" wide. The quilting designs of free formed feathered hearts, swags, echoes and pebbles in the border and cross-hatching in the center (with a walking foot). I tried making the focus for the quilting in the center of the border rather than the corners. I used wool batting.

I used brown Invisafil and a #70 Microtex needle on my home sewing machine. I found that it was easiest to make the pebbles in a figure "8" pattern, looping one way and then the other.

I wanted to use an old hanger to hang the quilt from, so -

I made some little fabric tabs that I pinned to the back of the quilt.


DEM 1961-1989

On this day in 1989, my oldest brother died, he was 28 years old. He was very thoughtful and kind brother. The week before I started university he came to me and said that we were going there to find out where all my classes were, and when I was learning to drive, he would come to me and say lets go for a drive - never had to ask - just lets go! He was adventurous and had traveled all over the world. The last time I talked to him was the morning I was leaving to back-pack around Europe - he was so excited for me and gave me all kinds of tips. He died a month later - scuba diving at West Hawk Lake. He had just finished articling as a CA and was doing the things he loved after 3 years of hard work and studying. He is sadly missed by my family. I know that we are never forgotten by those who love us.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

16 comments:

Kristie said...

Your brother sure seems like a special person, I'm sure you miss him greatly.

Your quilting on that mini is just beautiful!! You do such a wonderful job!
Kristie

Needled Mom said...

What a tragic loss, Joanne. I know that he must still be looking out for you.

Your quilting is just gorgeous!!! PPP is paying off.

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

I am sorry for your loss. Time just stands still when you lose a loved one.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Your quilting is beautiful! And I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. We never forget those that we love. Remember the sweet memories. I'm sure that's what he would have wanted.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful story of your brother. You will always have those cherished memories of him! I just love your quilting! You really have an amazing talent!

Lisa Marie said...

Sorry about your brother, he sounds like he was a very special young man. Nov 2nd & 4th are sad dates in our house. In 1992 I was in a car accident that took the lives of 2 of our 5 girls. They were 4 & 6 years old. One died on the 2nd and the other on the 4th. I was driving and was rear-ended. Somehow I still think it was my fault but there was no way I could have stopped it. But as a Mom I wish I could have.
November is a hard month for us too. Hugs to you

Joan said...

What a beautiful quilt to make in memory of your bother Joanne - and what wonderful memories of him you have. That small quilt is a wonderful way to remember him, as I am sure part of those memories were quilted in as you made it. Its beautiful with such special quilting. I know he will always be in your heart.

Libby said...

Beautiful quilt! Your quilting is wonderfl! Practice is a good thing.

Yor brother sounds like an awesome guy who lved his life to the fullest! I know that you enjoy your memories of him!

claire said...

il est douloureux de perdre un etre aimé , pensée de France

Barbara said...

Hi,
This is a beautiful post for both yourself and your brother! Losing someone so important is often not something we grasp on an everyday level! I wish you happy thoughts about him!
And I love the mini-quilt and that is the very best advice (PPP).
Very best wishes,
Barbara

Deanna said...

When people say "time heals everything" I wonder if they have ever really needed healing. I'm sure you miss him very much. Thank you for sharing this very personal story.

SheilaC said...

Hugs to you on this sad day.....

SheilaC

Myra said...

Wow! Your quilting is awesome!!! Please tell me that you had your design drawn on before you started...
Gorgeous!!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful brother in him... I seem to recall that sad situation...

Gone before us, but never forgotten...

Karen said...

A beautiful post...your quilting is beautiful and you've written a beautiful tribute to your brother. {{{hugs}}}

Gloria said...

Your mini quilt is so inspiring! You did a wonderful job! I like that the focus is in the center of the borders.
Thanks for sharing about your brother! Our loved ones are a part of us forever!

Hugs...

Doodlebug + Friends said...

Lots of hugs for you. My youngest brother passed away last year at the age of 27 (cancer). I still have moments of grief, but I know that he would want us to keep running the race and fighting the fight. I know that the hole will never go away, but in time it becomes less painful to touch the hole.