Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bigger Borders

Initially I was going to put on only two rows of squares on the "Spanish Steps" quilt because the wool batting I bought was only supposed to be 90" wide. After I sewed on the first two borders, I measured the quilt against the batting. It turns out the batting is 100" wide, and I have lots of room to add the three rows the pattern calls for. I think it will look much better.


My focus this week will be to finish adding the borders on the other two sides. 216 squares to sew.
Scrap quilts are great! I have been quilting for almost twenty years (since I was pregnant with my oldest child), and it is nice to be able to include fabric from lots of the quilts I have made over the years. A real memory quilt.
Have a great day!

5 comments:

jillybee said...

Its really looking great Joanne.

Funny, I have been quilting for nearly 20 years also. My son was 2 when I took my first quilting class. I made him an airplane quilt. He used it a lot, but I have it hidden away until I die. Its awful, simply awful.

Blessings,
Jilly

Colleen said...

Your Spanish Steps quilt is so pretty, the shadow effect is amazing. I think the triple border is very effective. I first started quilting in 1983 when my fourth child was born. For several years I enjoyed quilting, then started English Smocking precious clothes for my daughters. From there I worked making custom draperies and interior design. After retiring 2 yrs ago I started quilting again. I have been amazed how much I missed in the 20 yr not quilting. Quilting again is so much fun for me to use my creativity in this direction.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.
Colleen

Abby said...

Wow! Your quilt looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Sonnja said...

I find also your quilt looks great.
Bear regards,

Beertje Zonn

Patriotic Mom said...

Very pretty! I like the the 3 rows too. Joan @Americana By Candlelight