Friday, July 15, 2011

New Thread

I was given a spool of Superior Threads The Bottom Line to try out.

It is a 60 wt polyester thread.

I made a little table topper to try the new thread out. It is 16" square, with wool batting.

I tried out some applique (I was given a spool of purple thread which is not my favorite colour, and I don't have too much purple fabric in my stash - all this fabric is from my inherited stash), also some quilting in the ditch with a walking foot and free motion quilting.

I used a #70 Microtex needle. I tried using the Bottom Line thread in the bobbin - it worked fine for the applique, but I had to switch to Aurifil cotton thread for the free motion quilting because the threads kept breaking (my machine seems to struggle with polyester thread in the top and bottom, so I wasn't surprised).

Overall I liked the thread. I still prefer Invisafil for applique because it is a 100wt thread and is a bit less noticeable (it didn't help that I used plain fabric). The thread worked well for free motion quilting, and the 1,420 yards on the spool would go a long way, plus it comes in a beautiful range of colours.

Yesterday I had a couple of comments about why I wouldn't quilt so many lines of the Winding Ways blocks again -

it was just because there ended up being too many quilting lines in the center of the blocks. It was very easy to do because the blocks make nice large circles which were very easy to follow with the walking foot.

We have been bike riding in the country again,

and ended up in this large dried up ditch -

my son found a little fish,

in the only puddle,

better luck than fishing in the lake last week!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...