Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Block #4

I was inspired by The Quilt Index for this weeks block.

For this 9" block you will need -

Background (I chose dark beige) -

4 - 2+3/8" squares (for the half square triangles - HST)
4 - 2"x3½" rectangles
1 - 4+3/16" square - cut in quarters diagonally (see above photo)

Print A (mine is blue) -

4 - 2+3/8" squares (for the half square triangles - HST)
2 - 3+7/8" squares - cut in half diagonally (see above photo)

Print B (gold) -

4 - 2" squares

Print C (red) -

1 - 3½" square



Make 8 HST's with the 2+3/8" squares (4 background and 4 print A). Draw a diagonal line, sew ¼" on either side and cut on the line..... (hopefully you have done this enough so that I don't have to write HST instructions every time). Trim these squares to 2".

I have chosen to press the seams open for this block. Anita Grossman Solomon recommends this and I tried it with the Arrowhead block and was so pleased with how flat the block was. I can't say that I would open the seams every time - but I tried it for this one.

Make the center by sewing the 4 background triangles around the print C square.

I used one of the handy-dandy point trimmers to make lining up the triangles easier - but it is not necessary.

Sew the print A triangles around. This center square should be 6½".

Sew the HST on to the ends of the background rectangles - there will be 4 of these units. They should measure 2"x 6½".

Now you are ready to sew the block together -


Print B are the corner blocks.

Trim the block to 9½".


I made two blocks again.

Thanks for dropping by and have a great day!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...