Monday, September 27, 2010

Machine Quilting

The "Diamonds at Large " quilt is all finished!

I free motion quilted (on my home sewing machine) feathered wreaths in the main darker diamonds,

and a "wave and pearl" (my variation of McTavishing) filler for the lighter background diamonds.

The fabric is a layer cake - Harvest Home by Black Bird Design for Moda. I used wool batting and it has a flannel backing. The quilt is 55" x 42", and is a very nice (manageable sized) lap quilt. It would be great for an older person or someone in a wheelchair because of the size - the wool batting also helps keep it very light.
The pattern is from the book "Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts" by Pam Lintott.
The wonderful thing about this quilt is that it only uses one layer cake to make the whole top and the binding! It was a simple design and left nice large spaces to practice free motion quilting.
I used almost a whole spool (1300m) of Aurifil thread (top and bottom) and a #80 Microtex needle - never had a problem.

Some things I learned about free motion quilting feathered wreaths -
On the inside curve lay the first loop down at a low angle so that the last few loops will be able to fit in (I finally realized this for the last few wreaths!).
I like to make the ends of the loops wider (bulbous), I think it looks better.
When you have to go over a stitching line (when laying loops down side by side), try not to stop or move your hands - your hands will remember the path they just took and it will be easier to stitch on top of the other line.

(I did trace the oval for the wreaths, but free motioned the loops in.)

This quilt is the last of the three quilt tops that I made over the summer. I just have to quilt a lap quilt that my Mother made for a family friend and then it is on to smaller projects.
Also the Secret Santa Christmas Swap was just announced over at Ouvrages d'une Acadienne (I don't know if you have to be part of the Charming Girls Quilt Club to participate?).

Now that the new TV seasons has started, I picked up my tatting again (something that doesn't need my undivided attention).

I started this when we went to Italy (doesn't take much space to carry). I like this pattern (it is from an old book) because it makes one big motif and there are no filler or joining parts. There are 3 motifs so far (started the fourth and still need 3 more). I am using #30 Cebelia cotton. If I fill the shuttle very full it will make one whole motif.

I made this one a few years ago with #80 tatting cotton, it is about 9" across. There are 7 motifs. I like the way the secondary patterns come out, reminds me that I would like to try making a double wedding ring quilt.

I saw this one on the Accuquilt site. Oh No! Another table runner!!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...