Friday, March 30, 2012

March's Free Motion Quilting Challenge

I finally got around to completing this month's Free Motion Quilting Challenge piece. It took awhile for me to decide exactly what I was going to do. 
To me the challenge this month seemed to be more about pushing yourself to try something new, rather than quilting a specific quilting design.


So, I decided to try something new to me. I drew my design out on a piece of paper (also a "new to me" design), and then "stitched it" on the sewing machine with a #90 needle and no thread. This created a stencil that I then used quilt pounce on to mark the design on the quilt. I will definitely use this method again to mark a design.


It created a very clear outline that was easy to follow. I used two colours of Aurifil #50 thread.


I added loops for a background filler.


Ann Fahl's tutorial was very good, and she talked about using different threads, so I decided to add some highlights with metallic thread. I tried a #90 Embroidery needle for the metallic thread and slowed the speed of the machine down. It worked very well - usually my machine doesn't like sewing with this thread.

The Free-Motion Quilting Challenge is so much fun, and I look forward to it every month. Thanks so much Sew Cal Gal! Can't wait to see what next month brings.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

Raewyn said...

Awesome- I love what you have done... beautiful. The loops look good as your fill and the different threads are very effective. Great thinking outside the square.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I am so glad you posted this. Ann is taking town her tutorial on April 1st, so I was able to download and print her instructions. Thanks!

Tammy said...

Beautiful quilting Joanne. I love the way you created a new design and used different colours of thread. It looks lovely.

Nima Titus said...

wow..that is one awesome attempt of FMQ. thank you so much for sharing

SewCal Gal said...

Beautiful. Great job.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

SewCal Gal said...

Beautiful. Great job.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

danih03 said...

Awesome design! I haven't gotten around to doing mine. I was a little confused as to what to do since there were no real specifics this month.

Ruth said...

I love your flower. What a good idea and it looks pretty easy. What fun!

cayena said...

muy precioso su diseño se nota que sabe felicidades y bendiciones

Barb and Sharon said...

I love how you incorporated the challenge with a thread design. How creative. I think I will also try the pounce method to add details to my quilting. Thanks for the ideas.
Barb

Barb said...

Your quilting looks so good. I really like the different threads too, adds so much.

Frances Leate said...

I love what you have done and thanks for such a great tip. I will definitely be trying this out. Take care

Joan said...

Love your new design - no stopping you!! :) Will try to catch up later tonight /day