Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fabric Bowl and Blessings

I finished the fabric bowl today!


It is about 13" across, and I used 50' of cotton cord, plus 26 WOF fabric strips (cut to 1"). I used  a regular machine needle ( #80 Universal) and sewed slowly so the stitches wouldn't skip. It was quite easy to sew. The longest part of making the bowl was wrapping the fabric around the cord


Tips (or things I should have done differently!) -
- I shouldn't have made such a big bowl. I should have started the side(s) sooner because it takes a few rows for the side(s) to take shape.
- I shouldn't have added handles for my first bowl. It was hard to get them the same size and directly across from each other. Plus I should have only added two rows for the handles (I wanted to use all the cord) because the last two rows changed the shape of the bowl, and the handles stick out to the side instead of sticking up.



I thought it would make a nice basket to hold projects for my sewing room.

It was lots of fun to make and I will definitely try it again - smaller, maybe a couple of different fabrics and no handles!



This is last week's Blessing block from the Temecula Quilt Co.


All three 4" blocks so far - two more to go I think.


It didn't get as warm as they originally thought it would, but lots more snow melted today, so still wonderful.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!


Has anyone else noticed that the "little pencil" used for editing posts and pages, and the "crossed wrenches" for editing things on the side bar, are missing on their blogs when they are signed in?

18 comments:

Jill said...

Wow! The bowl looks great. Maybe someday I will be brave enough to try one.

Betty Lou said...

I think it is perfect. Thank you for explaining the technique, when I saw the picture a couple of days ago I couldn't imagine that your sewing machine could sew through the cord. I like it.

Fiesta said...

Your bowl looks fabulous. I bought my cord so I can try one this week,

Deanna said...

I love the bowl. It might be just about time for me to try one. Thank you for the tips.

bunbear said...

the bowl is cute! grandma always said this about mistakes - a smart woman won't say anything about them and a dumb woman won't know the difference. so just don't tell anyone about the issues with the bowl! creative license, right? haha. and the pencil and wrenches are still on my blog.

Karen said...

Joanne, the bowl is really neat -- I love the way it turned out -- and we would never know the handle issues or other secrets if you didn't say.

Thanks for sharing the link and the tips.

BTW: I have my pencil showing on my posts when I am logged in -- but I don't see the wrench.

Hugs.
Karen

Michelle said...

Love the bowl !!
I takes forever to cover the cord....
I have made a bag, must try a bowl.

Anne said...

The bowl looks wonderful. Something else for me to try!

And, yes, I noticed that the wee pencil had disappeared on the posts etc. I don't know why it's gone and I'm really hoping that it comes back soon!

Linda H said...

The wrenches are missing on mine too..wonder what Blogger is up to now...?

GailM. said...

Love the bowl. I've not done one. Somebody was selling small ones at a craft art show recently. They were so nice. I thought I'd like to make a small one. But I love the style of yours. Nice.

Karen said...

Your bowl turned out beautifully! I'd love to try one too. I've always admired these types of bowls.
I noticed that the little symbols are gone on my blog too.

Marie said...

Your bowl looks very ambitious but it turned out beautifully, despite your concerns. Nicely done. Not sure that my machine could handle it.

pixilatedtoo said...

I think the project turned out beautifully. It is symmetrical and balanced! Perfect! ~ Lynda

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE the bowl!!!! I think I am going to have to give this a try.

Barb said...

your bowl turned out great and the new blocks are so cute!

Raewyn said...

Love your bowl - it turned out well... I thought the handles were supposed to turnout like that!! Your blessings blocks are really cute - quite tiny at 4".

Wendy said...

Great photographs of the bowl! Looks wonderful!

zeelhell said...

Such a nice project.It really colourful and fabulous art creations.Colorful bowl really nice look.

top 10 business schools