Thursday, October 13, 2011

New Feathers


 I am trying a new type of feathers - Hooked Feathers (no backtracking).

 

 It is a pretty neat way to create feathers, but I am struggling with them (I keep wanting to create feathers the old way). I definitely need more practice before I quilt them on my next project.



 I would like to make a Dresden plate quilt, so I made a test block to try out the Dresden plate template.


It worked really well.
I have done some "walking-foot" quilting on it and I will try some hooked feathers in the background.


The full moon this morning.



A young robin came for a visit this afternoon.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Just playing a little catch up here.

I have that same book on feathers and have been trying to expand my horizons with it too.

I love the applique you have been doing. It is beautiful.

Michelle said...

Cute Robin!
It was nice of him to sit still for his photo.

Betweens said...

That is one of my favorite quilting books I think that the feathers are great to work with in there. If I could machine quilt. I keep trying with no success.

I love your scene picture it is lovely

Ruth said...

I need to get that book. I've heard of it before and have looked at JoAnn's, but haven't seen it there. Your dresden plate looks great! I always think of my Mom when I see robins - they were her favorite bird.

Barb said...

Pretty feathers, I'll have to check out that book.
Love your Desden Plate block, very nice!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Wonderful feathers....your machine quilting looks great...I will have to check out this book!

Mr. Robin is stoping by to tell you...." see you next spring"!

:)Carolyn

Myra said...

Those new feathers of yours are looking pretty darn great!! 8-)

That Dresden book looks interesting...

Looking outside, Fall is definitely here... I think all those warm days are behind us now...

Tammy said...

Hi Joanne,
Your new feathers are fantastic! As is your free motion feather tutorial. I guess my next quilting book will be "Hooked on Feathers". I would very much like to join the free motion quilting project.