Monday, October 17, 2011

Dresden Plate Mini Quilt



I finished the Dresden Plate mini quilt (it is 16" square). I made it to hang on an old hanger,



in my mini quilt room (a.k.a. the laundry room). 


I densely quilted the background so that the Dresden plate would stand out (I used wool batting).

I tried the Hooked Feather for the background - 


marking the stem with a Hera Marker

The instructions in the Hooked Feather book say to stitch the stem first from the top down and stitch feathers on one side, stop and tie off the thread and start back down at the bottom. 


I chose to stitch one side of the feathers from the bottom along the marked line (barely visible). The hooks are made by stitching a small "c", touching the previous hook and stitching a large "C" back to the stem.


Next I stitched a few lobes at the top of the feather and then stitched down the stem marking.


I then stitched the "C"'s up the other side of the stem.

No backtracking and no starting and stopping.

I echoed around the feathers to make the rest of the filling stitches easier.








 The rest of the background I filled in by "bouncing" (off the feather, the dresden plate or the edge of the quilt). I use this technique lots when I just have small spaces to fill in.


I cut out lots of blades for a Dresden Plate quilt


The fabric is Boutique by Chez Moi. I had bought a fat quarter bundle of 12 different fabrics. My plan is to make up the Dresden plates and then decide what to make with them (I was inspired by Dresden Plate images from Google).


I have made 3 so far.

My husband took a picture when I was cutting out the DP blades. I am enjoying my new sewing room.


The little moccasins on the wall are ones I made when my oldest son (he is now 20) first started walking,


they seem so tiny now!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...