Monday, October 17, 2011

Dresden Plate Mini Quilt



I finished the Dresden Plate mini quilt (it is 16" square). I made it to hang on an old hanger,



in my mini quilt room (a.k.a. the laundry room). 


I densely quilted the background so that the Dresden plate would stand out (I used wool batting).

I tried the Hooked Feather for the background - 


marking the stem with a Hera Marker

The instructions in the Hooked Feather book say to stitch the stem first from the top down and stitch feathers on one side, stop and tie off the thread and start back down at the bottom. 


I chose to stitch one side of the feathers from the bottom along the marked line (barely visible). The hooks are made by stitching a small "c", touching the previous hook and stitching a large "C" back to the stem.


Next I stitched a few lobes at the top of the feather and then stitched down the stem marking.


I then stitched the "C"'s up the other side of the stem.

No backtracking and no starting and stopping.

I echoed around the feathers to make the rest of the filling stitches easier.








 The rest of the background I filled in by "bouncing" (off the feather, the dresden plate or the edge of the quilt). I use this technique lots when I just have small spaces to fill in.


I cut out lots of blades for a Dresden Plate quilt


The fabric is Boutique by Chez Moi. I had bought a fat quarter bundle of 12 different fabrics. My plan is to make up the Dresden plates and then decide what to make with them (I was inspired by Dresden Plate images from Google).


I have made 3 so far.

My husband took a picture when I was cutting out the DP blades. I am enjoying my new sewing room.


The little moccasins on the wall are ones I made when my oldest son (he is now 20) first started walking,


they seem so tiny now!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

Fiesta said...

Joanne, I have the fabric you made the colorful dresdens in. I couldn't imagine it would look so beautiful. Such a lovely creation.

Karen said...

Joanne -- you are simply amazing -- the dresden plate is beautiful ! Thanks for sharing...

Karen

JonHebert said...

JoAnn these are really wonderful pieces of art! (I refuse to call them quilts)It is not only the month for Halloween, but breast cancer awareness month!!! Treat yourself or a loved one because you care! I am just stopping by with a reminder to do your self breast exam.
Here's a fun place to start! Everybody loves boob lube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8pIHy2GRI

Joan said...

Wonderful Joanne, and I love the explanations you give. Also think your DH took a great photo of your new sewing room - SO neat - I am envious :)

Wendy said...

How cute those moccasins are! Is he embarrassed that you show them on your blog?

Your Dresdens are lovely!

Deanna said...

You could hold a quilt show in that laundry room! Thanks for sharing your quilts and your space with us.

Barb said...

Now that is a laundry room to be proud of - I hope you take everyone there to see all your lovely things.
Those moccasins are incredible.

Raewyn said...

I love your mini-quilt room..and the hangers are just right! The quilting you have put on your mini-dresden is gorgeous... look forward to seeing more dresdens too...and what you do with them.

Me and My Stitches said...

Wonderful quilts - I bet it makes it easier to go do laundry! I love your little moccasins! I worked for a company who was majority owned by an Alaskan company. I used to beg their HR director to have his Grandma adopt me and make me my own moccasins! One year for Christmas he sent me a tiny little moccasin key ring. Maybe you will adopt me and make me moccasins in my size!?

Sarah said...

Love the blue dresden...I didn't even realize it was 2 blues until half way thru your post - It makes it so dimensional. Will need to remember that next time I play with dresdens.

My Sweet Prairie said...

PRETTY Dresden!!! And I heart those mocassins!
: )
~Monika in Saskatoon

GailM. said...

Loved your hooked feathers. I never saw that book before. I love the idea that there is no backtrackng. I'm definitely going to give this a try soon. Congrats on your 400th blogpost. My my doesn't time fly quickly.

Ullan tilkut said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! I love your quilts! They are so fantastic!!! Thank you for your lovely blog! I am so happy to I found your blog! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

Pepe said...

Oh! Thank you so much for showing your way to make curves for quilting! It's so simple and genius! Why I never thought it? :)

A sister of the Process Pledge