Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Block #20

I can't believe it!! The last block of the quilt-along! I have been waiting to make this design since October.

This is "Dove at the Window", inspired by the Quilt Index. I used EQ7 for the pattern - changed the directions of the HST's of the Bear Paw block.


You will need -

Background -

8 - 2+1/8" squares for the half square triangles (HST)
4 - 4+3/8" x 1+13/16" rectangles

Print A (mine is red) -

1 - 1+13/16" square for the center of the block

Print for the "Doves" -

You can chose to make all the "Doves" with the same fabric, or chose 4 different fabrics, or 2... I used 4 different fabrics in the same colour range.

For each of the four "Doves" you need -

1 - 3+1/16" square
1 - 1+13/16" square
2 - 2+1/8" squares for the half square triangles (HST)

Start by making the HST with the sixteen 2+1/8" squares (8 of the background and 8 of the prints for the "Doves"). (HST - draw a diagonal line, sew ¼" on either side, cut in half on the line, press towards the dark....) Trim the sixteen half square triangles to 1+13/16" square.

Make each of the four "doves" with four HST, the 1+13/16" square and the 3+1/16" square (pay attention to the orientation of the HST).


Trim the "Doves" to a 4+3/8" square.

Sew the "Doves" together with the background rectangles and the print A square as shown.

Trim the block to 9½" square (9" finished).

I made the second one with two different colours.

All the 40 scrappy blocks and the 41 alternating blocks are ready to be sewn together!!

All the rows are numbered,

stacked and

waiting by the machine.

Next week I will post some ideas for borders and show you the border design I chose.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

13 comments:

LiahonaGirl said...

What a great block. And your quilt is looking so fabulous. Sorry I didn't get in on the quilt along in time to join in.

Linda said...

Congratulations on the final block! I love that block design too, not sure if I've seen it before?? Love how the blocks look all laid out! It's such a beautiful quilt! You did a wonderful job, Joanne!

Joan said...

Oh - the last one looks great! and your blocks look soooo neat all ready to sew...wish I was the organised. So - now I have 4 to go before I am finished. I would hate to say how #17 went yesterday - I need to re-cut some of the squares... but I am nearly there. Its a huge quilt!

cw said...

I just love the way you've put all the blocks together. The colors are beautiful. I can't wait to see the border.

Kat said...

you are gorgeous Joanne ! :)))
Your instructions are understandable even to me. your blog is a treasure trove for me.

greetings
kat

Cathy said...

Woo Hoo the final block. Your quilt is sooooo beautiful. My quilters envy is showing. Thank you for all your work and your tutorials and your inspiration. I will post a picture as soon as my top is together. Hugs

Karen said...

Love this last block! Wow,your quilt is gorgeous! It's so exciting to see it come together. Hopefully soon I can catch up.

Needled Mom said...

I love Block #20!!! It will make such a nice addition to the rest. I can't wait to start putting them all together.

Marlene said...

I am not quite (like by four blocks) caught up, BUT I DID get the fabric together for the alternating blocks today. BIG STEP for me. Thanks for such a fun quiltalong. My blue/green color scheme is coming along nicely.

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Joanne! LOvely block and fabulous quilt! Oh ... you'd better 'tag along' over to my blog cos there's some OPAM news you need so see! :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS

Barb said...

Your scrappy quilt is wonderful!

Scrappy quilter said...

Finished!!! All 20 blocks done twice. Woohoo!! Now it's putting them all together. Thanks for this wonderful quilt-along.

Holly said...

I just found this quilt a long last week, but it was exactly what I was searching for, and I just finished the 12 blocks I needed. Thank you for such clear directions and great block choices!