Monday, January 3, 2011

Drunkard's Path

Happy New Year!!!

I have been having fun sewing Drunkard's Path blocks (cut with my new Baby GO!).


I made a wall hanging - no pattern, but I was inspired by the books "Fat-Quarter Quilting" by Lori Smith and "Hop To It! Appliqued Blocks and Projects" by Edyta Sitar. The DP blocks are 3½" and the applique blocks are 7".
It is 21" x 28", using a mix of Bali fabrics and more traditional fabric. I machine quilted it with Invisafil thread on the top and Aurifil 50wt in the bobbin.

I had lots of fun trying out different quilting patterns for the DP blocks.


The applique blocks are machine appliqued with the freezer paper method (tutorial). The quilting was inspired by the Edyta Sitar book (quilted in the ditch around the applique and then echoed ¼" out, the rest of the block is quilted with random designs).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

15 comments:

Linda said...

Joanne, it's gorgeous!! Your quilting is always so beautiful! I think this may be one of the prettiest little quilts I've seen! I can't believe how fast you made it too!! It's a real show stopper!!!

Sherrill said...

WOW!! That's BEAUTIFUL and your quilting is GORGEOUS! I'm doing a quilting cruise end of the month and Edyta is one of the teachers! YAY!

Cyndi said...

Joanne, that little wall hanging is so pretty and your quilting is gorgeous...it just leaves me in awe of what you can do with your sewing machine!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Joan said...

What a wonderful little quilt Joanne - how did it go sewing the curves? Love your quilting.SUch a lovely quilt :)

Vivian said...

What a lovely little quilt! I just got the Lori Smith book recently so I can really see the inspiration. I love what you did with it and the quilting is the icing on the cake!

DebbieM said...

Love it, Love it, Love it!! The colors are fantastic! These are the colors I love and have in my home. I'm not that good of a quilter yet, but you have inspired me to keep trying.

Cheryl said...

Stunning, absolutely stunning! Your machine quilting class really paid off. Your quilting is beautiful!

Terry said...

That's just beautiful! And your quilting is fabulous! Well done! :0)

quiltalina said...

What a wonderful marriage of piecing and applique. Lovely.

GerryART said...

Well, dang, gal.
Here I went and bought the 7.5" DP die.
Your color choices are wonderful and love the appliqué blocks.
Looks like I'd better buckle down this year.
Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Gerry

Needled Mom said...

I love the colors and your quilting is just fabulous! Very nice piece.

Jen said...

wow! So gorgeous! I love the design and I love the quilting. You are so talented!

Wendy said...

How lovely!!! I can see you're having fun with your Baby Go!

canuckquilter said...

Wow! The pattern, the piecing, the colours, the quilting! This is gorgeous. It all came together so well.

Peg said...

How beautiful!!! Just trying to catch up to all the bloggers on Myra's Challenge - and 'follow' my fellow Canadians. Looking forward to getting to know you and see all your progress on the challenge Blessings, Peg