Thursday, January 27, 2011

Some BOM's

I decided to join in some Block of the Months this year.

The first one is Granny's Hankie from Justquiltin with Denise Russart.

Here is a picture from her website, the blocks are 16" and the quilt will be 102" square.

I am going to make it with batiks.

Last Saturday I drove around to three different fabric stores trying to find fabric for the background and borders (the appliques will be from fat quarters from my stash). I couldn't find anything I liked.
Later on I was looking online and came across Flare Fabrics.
It is a Canadian company that specializes in batiks!! The fabric was cheaper than any batiks I found locally (even at the discount fabric store), I only had to pay one tax (out of province), shipping in Canada is free (January special of free shipping to the U.S.), plus there is a 10% discount on first orders when you sign up for the e-newsletter!!! What a deal!! The fabric came today and it is beautiful, I can't wait to get started!

The second BOM is from the Electric Quilt Blog.

I made January's block today - it was very quick to make - the blocks are only 6" for this one.
There will be a block a month for the whole year and I have no idea what it will look like. I don't normally like to commit to a mystery project but I thought a 6" block a month wouldn't be a big commitment if I don't like it. You don't have to have EQ for this one, the patterns are also PDF's.

Yesterday I bought these shoes-


they are the kind with the balance ball technology for toning your legs. I originally saw them for over $100, but these were under $50 from Costco. I find in the winter that I don't exercise as much as I should, so I thought they would be great to wear when I clean the house (I tend to vacuum a few times a week, and my children already make fun of my quilting gloves, now they think it is funny that I have vacuuming shoes!). I wore them today when I was cleaning and I could really feel it my legs. Now to see if I can sew with them, so I can "exercise" by walking to the ironing/cutting board!

This picture is from yesterday -there are lots more rabbits this year.

The frost was so pretty today -

early this morning

later on in the day.

The weather is also warmer - the rabbits have their ears up.
They really like pineapples, tops and all!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Lovely store. You're right about the Batiks. I may order some for myself. That EQ BOM looks fun, too.
Actually, they both do. Good luck with them.

Warmer here these past few days. Snow melting in the noon sun.

-Wendy

ferne said...

Thanks for the link to the Grandma's Hankie BOM! It looks like fun and is beautiful. I think I will use Jan. block for a pillow. I had not seen this blog before and I thought I had seen them all...ha!

Needled Mom said...

I can't wait to see the BOM develop. It will be gorgeous.

I looked at those shoes at Costco this week. They felt really heavy and I was wondering how they would feel on my feet.

Myra said...

Wow Joanne! You've got yourself doing quite a bit there! Good for you!!! I look forward to seeing that one done in batiks!
Lovely fabric you got in the mail there... will definitely check that website out!
PDF patterns on the Electic Quilt Blog!?! Will be checking that too...
Thanks for the links!
Vacuuming shoes hey? lol! I'll have to see if they might be something for my finicky feet!
Love seeing the rabbits... Haven't seen much of mine this winter, just their tracks...
Oh wasn't the frost lovely yesterday!?! Love it, buy don't like what is going on out there today!!!
Happy stitchings!

Impera_Magna said...

I love wild rabbits... yours are fatter than mine... maybe I need to feed my more?

:)